Re: hwclock fork/merge

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 08:43:20PM -0700, Bela Lubkin wrote:
> Bryan> I think Hwclock should be distributed through a project of its own and
> Bryan> repackaged directly into Linux distributions like thousands of other
> Bryan> packages including util-linux(-ng).

 I don't so ;-)

 The util-linux-ng project is open for arbitrary sane patches --
 everyone is welcome, including Bryan. I don't think that I have a
 problem to collaborate with other people. We already have a community
 around util-linux-ng (including RTC kernel developers). We are ready
 to maintain and improve hwclock(8), do you want to help us?

 Why do you need to maintain your hwclock separately? I don't see a real
 technical reason.

> 4) modify util-linux-ng packaging to _by default_ omit hwclock, while

 Why? Where is a group of people who need the change? The freedom of
 choice between util-linux and Bryan's hwclock(8) exists for more than
 7 years.  The reality is that all mainstream Linux distributions
 *successfully* use util-linux(-ng) hwclock.

 BTW, I see a completely different trend in Linux distributions --
 consolidation -- bigger, community driven and well maintained groups
 of packages/utils rather than small one-man projects.

 IMHO --disable-hwclock makes more sense for the minority of Linux
 users who don't want (or cannot -- e.g. s390) use hwclock(8).

 Again, your patches are welcomed.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>