Re: mimic the RTC restart delay (was: hwclock issue)

> > > We can resolve the problem in userspace. I can imagine
> > > hwclock(8) that reads /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/settime_offset_ms
>
> That'd work.  Someone would need to provide the kernel patch
> to define that value, with whatever units are relevant.  In
> most cases the value would be zero, but rtc-cmos would need
> to export 500 msec.

By the way ... I just happened to be looking at how the
HPET (available on modern x86 systems, and solidly in the
Linux "should use" category) interacts with the RTC.

Capsule summary:  absolutely nothing keeps the emulated RTC
IRQs (arch/x86/kernel/hpet.c) in phase with the real RTC.

So any effort to pay attention to that 500 msec delay is
going to be monitoring the HPET IRQs instead of the real
RTC signals.  The right offset would rarely be 500 msec.

Good fun, what?  ;)

- Dave