Re: [RFC] nodeinfo - CPU architecture information helper

Cai Qian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I propose a new tool nodeinfo to util-linux-ng,

It's a good idea basically.

I don't like the name to be honest. nodeinfo is not very
intuitive. Better would be "lscache", "ls..."

NUMA cell is unusual terminology, NUMA node.
Actually that is already covered by numactl --hardware

It seems very Intel specific, might be better to use generalized
terminology like SMT

But: if you do a parseable format i think it would be better
to just stuff it into some /proc or /sys file in the kernel.

Using strings for dual core etc is unfortunate, there
are triple cores etc.

Virtualization has the problem that it might be still
disabled in the BIOS. Detecting that is tricky. Perhaps leave
it out.

On x86 it should report family/model etc.

So definitely needs far more work.

-Andi