Re: hwclock issue

On Tuesday 17 June 2008, Karel Zak wrote:
>  I think we have two issues here.
>
>  1) hwclock(8) always reads the hardware clock, although, for example:
>
>         hwclock --systohc --noadjfile --utc
>
>     needn't any data from the hardware clock. This problem has been
>     reported by Uwe.

Right, and this seems to be fixed by the patch you sent earlier.

> > (*) One issue is a mechanism that's specific to the PC/AT
> >     clone RTCs:  waiting for "exactly" 1/2 second after
> >     the clock rolls over before setting the clock, since
>
>  2) IMHO this is a separate issue.
>
> >     those RTCs wait a half second.  If someone has time
> >     to work such issues:  that 1/2 second delay should
> >     (a) obviously not be attempted if the clock can't
> >     even be read, but also (b) should not be required,
> >     since most RTCs don't have those PC/AT semantics.
>
>  ad (b) - is there any way how to differ between "modern" RTCs and
>  PC/AT style RTC?

You mean, how can userspace tell what kind of RTC it's got?

Today, it can't ... although some experimentation could tell
if there is such a delay.  (Set RTC, observe when it takes
effect... evidently "chrony' does some of that.)

My preferred solution would make this delay become explicit
in /etc/adjtime and the command line.  For full backwards
compatibility to the "PC-specific" model, default to 500msec
if it's not listed in /etc/adjtime.  Intelligent installers
(or distros) would set it to 0 msec on most non-PC hardware.

- Dave