Migration of hostname from Coreutils to Util-linux-ng

Hi,

Coreutils-6.10 no longer builds or installs the `hostname` binary.  At http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2007-08/msg00113.html, it was hinted at that Util-linux-ng would provide an implementation, but as yet I can't see anything in git.  To that end, I've looked at the implementations in both coreutils and net-tools.  Both of those packages are released under the GPLv2 (yes, later coreutils migrated to GPLv3 but the hostname implementation has remained unchanged for some time, so a previous GPLv2 version can be found with very little effort).  Util-Linux-NG is also under the GPLv2, so from a legal standpoint I don't think there are any legal issues with importing either implementation (IANAL, and all that jazz).  What is the usual etiquette for performing such migrations?  Do either/both upstream maintainers need to be informed/involved, or could an existing implementation be taken lock-stock-and-barrel with just the necessary Makefile adjustments to be made?

Thanks,

Matt.

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe util-linux-ng" in