Re: NTFS partition tried to mount as reiserfs

Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Peter Klotz wrote:
Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Peter Klotz wrote:
On Monday 07 January 2008, Peter Klotz wrote:
When trying to mount one of my NTFS partitions without specifying the
"-t" option mount uses reiserfs instead of NTFS.

The mount command (util-linux-ng 2.13):
with 2.13+, mount itself no longer does filesystem detection.  instead,
that job is left up to other (better) libraries which is a good thing
(people maintaining mount need not spend time on it).

however, there are two different libraries util-linux will attempt to
use and the one is decided at build time.  please post the output of:
ldd $(which util-linux)
so that we can figure out what library you're using and so you can
figure out what library you should see if there is a newer version of
hrm, i'm guessing you didnt build util-linux by yourself ?  what
distribution are you using and what version of the package ?  if you did
build util-linux, please post the config.log after running `./configure`.
I am using Ubuntu 7.10 i386, the package version of util-linux is
2.13-8ubuntu1.

their control file says they force volume_id ... i wonder if they also forced static linking (which seems kind of dumb, but whatever).

i'm attaching code distilled from the version of util-linux that you're running. try compiling it like so:
gcc fsprobe_volumeid.c -lvolume_id -Wall -o probe_test
this will of course require you to install the volume_id dev package as well as gcc and such ... unfortunately, there's no real way for us to know whether the dev package you installed exactly matched the version statically linked into util-linux ... but it's a start

then try running it like so (you must of course be root):
./probe_test /dev/sdh1
if volume_id is functioning correctly, it should return ntfs. that means the problem may lie in util-linux's mount. if it returns reiserfs, it means util-linux gets to wash its hand and redirect you to ubuntu's bug tracker as the problem appears to lie in volume_id (which is not part of util-linux).

The test program returns reiserfs, so linux-utils works as expected:

root@centrino:~# ./probe_test /dev/sdh1
fsprobe_get_fstype_by_devname(/dev/sdh1) = reiserfs

Mike, thank you very much for pointing me a way through this problem.

I will report a bug for volume_id as you suggested.

Best regards, Peter.
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe util-linux-ng" in