Re: ionice and ioprio_[gs]et

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 07:43:45AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> in the ionice.c function is a big old list of ifdef's to handle the syscall
> not being set yet ... you can easily pick out the architectures that'll fail
> on (i just get a mips report), so perhaps that should be put into
> configure.in ?  if so, i can post a patch ...

 Yes. I think the best solution is create an UTIL_SYSCALL_CHECK
 autoconf macro rather than use AC_COMPILE_IFELSE for all SYS_ checks.

 I've a little played with this ionice code in 2.13:

    http://www.mail-archive.com/util-linux-ng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg00429.html

 .. I wasn't sure if all actively used glibc versions already support
 SYS_ionice_{set,get}.

 The private __NR_<syscall> definitions are bad thing and it should be
 used only when the syscall is really new and unsupported by glibc.

 The question is how long we have to support compilation against
 incomplete (old, without relevant SYS_) glibc versions. I'm think one
 major util-linux-ng release is enough. Mix old glibc, new kernel and
 new util-linux is crazy idea...

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>