Re: 8bit-clean author

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 10:45:48PM +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Err, I'm sorry to say that, but there is some attribution issue with the
> >
> > agetty: - 8 bit characters on the Linux console lead to input corruption [Moritz Muehlenhoff]
> >
> > ChangeLog entry.  That modification was not written by Moritz
> > Muehlenhoff, but by me, see the Debian report to which I originally
> > posted the patch:
> >
> > I do appreciate that Moritz pushed the patch upstream, but please don't
> > appropriate work :)
>
> The commit itself properly credits you as the author. I don't know, where
> my name is coming from, but I suspect it's because it's the first link
> in the chain from my git tree to LaMonts's git tree to Karel's git tree.

 Yes. We have to more carefully generate patches:

    git commit -s --author "Real Author <bar@xxxxxxx>"

 in case committer != author. You can also add "From: " to commit
 message. Unfortunately I've forgot to use the --author option for
 some manually (by patch(1)) applied patches...

 A good manner is to add original author and all contributors to CC:
 when you send the patch to upstream maintainer.

 I'll be more pedantic next time.

    Karel

 PS. http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/stuff/tpp.txt

--