Re: non-linux support

On Sunday 12 August 2007, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Mike Frysinger, le Sat 11 Aug 2007 22:48:43 -0400, a écrit :
> > i think everything should use termios functions.  these are a POSIX
> > standard and the underlying hacks and what not are the libc's problem,
> > not util-linux.
>
> Well, I do agree with that, but doing the switch blindly might bring
> breakage: we don't necessarily know which hacks already done in libc
> then needs to be dropped. The duplication that would remain can be a
> problem. That's why I preferred to keep a conservative approach for this
> patch. But we can indeed move forward of course.

i didnt do a line by line review of the termios code, but it's not my call as
to which way to go (transition period or just do it and be done) ... i of
course prefer the latter :)

> > > util-linux-2.13~rc3/fdisk/fdiskbsdlabel.c
> > > util-linux-2.13~rc3/misc-utils/namei.c
> > > util-linux-2.13~rc3/sys-utils/rdev.c
> > > +#ifndef MAXPATHLEN
> > > +#define MAXPATHLEN 4096
> > > +#endif
> >
> > everything should use the POSIX PATH_MAX define from limits.h and if that
> > doesnt exist, your system sucks and needs to be fixed, not util-linux
>
> Not, my system doesn't suck, it just doesn't have such fixed hard limit,
> and thsu, as POSIX allows, doesn't have the macro that would express it.
>
> The above patch is just to avoid the risky exercice which is rewriting
> of code into length-unlimited loop. But MAXPATHLEN & such should really
> used as "oops, the system is limited to this", not as "how much memory
> should I allocate for my path?". Some system may very well define
> MAXPATHLEN to MAXINT...

ah, i missed the statement in POSIX where these defines may be omitted ... may
be worthwhile i think to go through the code and just get rid of usage of all
of these _MAX defines by querying the actual limits at runtime ...
-mike