Re: mount: should -vf be handled by mount ?

On Thursday 26 July 2007, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 08:21:55PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > this isnt a regression from 2.12, just a bug report ;)
> >
> > running:
> > $ mount -nvf / -o remount
> > does not exec any other programs and gives me nice output if the
> > filesystem is something simple like ext3 ... but if it's something like
> > nfs or smbfs, the sub mount program will be executed instead.  in the
> > case of mount.nfs, no
>
> I've fixed mount.nfs in nfs-utils:

i was under the impression we punted this though to the nfs-utils package ?

> No clue about mount.smbfs or others implementations (I think it's less
> important than NFS -- probably nobody use SMB as a root filesystem).

i just quickly grabbed the next available fs type i had mounted locally ...
but yes, i dont think ive ever heard of someone using smbfs as a root fs

> > option list is properly filled out ?
>
> The syntax of external (u)mount helpers is described in mount.8 and
> umount.8, but util-linux-ng-v2.13 is probably the first release where
> this stuff is correctly implemented -- it means we need a time to fix
> others mount.<type> (e.g. smbfs).

maybe i'll look into hassling the samba guys then ;)

> Mike, it seems you use "mount -fnv / -o remount" as a replacement for
> "mount | grep ^/" :-)

yes and no ... we use it to determine user intent in our init scripts before
performing some boot operations ...
-mike