USGS News Release: USGS Study Identifies Major Source of Nitrate in Precipitation

   News Release
   |--------------------+-------------------------+-------------------+----------------------|
   |                    |                         |                   |                      |
   | October 22, 2007   | Emily M. Elliott        |412-624-8882       |eelliott@xxxxxxxx     |
   |                    |                         |                   |                      |
   |                    |                         |                   |                      |
   |                    | Denver Makle            |703-648-4732       |dmakle@xxxxxxxx       |
   |--------------------+-------------------------+-------------------+----------------------|

   USGS Study Identifies Major Source of Nitrate in Precipitation

   Nitrate found in precipitation occurring in rural areas of the
   Northeastern and Midwestern United States is primarily caused by
   emissions from stationary sources located hundreds of miles away,
   according to a new U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) study.

   Stationary sources include coal-burning power plants and other
   industrial facilities. Although vehicles are the single largest emission
   source of nitrogen oxides in this region, distant stationary sources may
   have a greater impact on nitrate found in rain and snow.

   “These results demonstrate that we have a new chemical analysis tool for
   tracing the influence of emissions from stationary sources. This could
   be a powerful method for monitoring the effects of stationary source
   emission reductions slated for this region over the next 8 years,” says
   Emily Elliott, former USGS scientist and current assistant professor at
   the University of Pittsburgh.

   The study, published in the journal Environmental Science and
   Technology, presents the first large-scale investigation of nitrogen
   isotopes in precipitation.  The authors analyzed stable nitrogen
   isotopes at 33 long-term National Atmospheric Deposition Program (NADP)
   monitoring sites. The NADP is a cooperative nationwide program that
   measures air pollutant concentrations in rain and snow at more than 250
   stations across the United States, most of which are deliberately
   located in relatively rural settings away from urban, industrial or
   agricultural centers.

   Nitrogen oxides originate from the burning of fossil fuels, including
   emissions from motor vehicles, electric utilities and other sources.
   Power plants and other stationary sources emit pollutants high in the
   atmosphere that can be transported for long distances before falling to
   the ground, while vehicles emit pollutants through tail pipes close to
   the ground where they are more likely to be deposited over shorter
   distances near roadways.  Further, a portion of emissions from all
   sources may be deposited on the landscape in gaseous forms such as
   aerosols and particles in addition to precipitation.  Thus the authors
   urge caution when interpreting their results, stating that both
   stationary sources and vehicles are important contributors to air
   pollution throughout the region.  “Our results highlight the need to
   improve our understanding of the fate of vehicle emissions; one way we
   can do this is by expanding monitoring networks to include more urban
   sites,” says Elliott.

   Nitrogen oxides in the atmosphere are a primary societal concern, given
   their contributions to a wide variety of environmental and health
   impacts. Nitrate is an important contributor to acid rain and can result
   in acidification of streams and soils, forest decline and coastal water
   degradation.  Determining the fate of major sources of nitrogen
   emissions is necessary to develop sound regulatory and mitigation
   strategies.

   The research was supported by the New York State Energy Research and
   Development Authority (www.nyserda.org/programs/Environment/EMEP/) and
   the Electric Power Research Institute.

   The abstract of the ES&T article is available on-line at
   http://pubs.acs.org/journals/esthag/index.html, under the Articles ASAP
   tab. Full text for the ES&T article can be obtained from Michael
   Bernstein, Office of Communications, American Chemical Society,
   (202)-872-6042 (m_bernstein@xxxxxxx).

   USGS provides science for a changing world. For more information, visit
                                www.usgs.gov.

    Subscribe to USGS News Releases via our electronic mailing list or RSS
                                    feed.

                            **** www.usgs.gov ****

[Index of Archives]     [Volcano]     [Earthquakes]     [Rocks & Minerals]     [Hiking Boots]     [Photography]     [Yosemite Hiking]     [Yosemite Campgrounds]     [California Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [Hot Springs Forum]