ALASKA-NEWS-RELEASE: Discussions begin about the future of Mendenhall Glacier recreation facilities

Discussions begin about the future of Mendenhall Glacier recreation facilities

JUNEAU, Alaska, August 23, 2016 -- The Forest Service invites everyone interested in facilities around the Mendenhall Glacier Recreation Area to participate in a series of design charrettes.

The first charrette, a collaborative session in which designers and others draft a solution to a design problem, will take place at Sept. 7, 6:30 p.m. at the Juneau Ranger District conference room. A second charrette will take place the following week and others will be held later as the process progresses.

"We look forward to designing recreation facilities that meet our burgeoning demand for access to the Mendenhall Glacier" says District Ranger Brad Orr. "We need smart solutions that balance an overwhelming demand to see the glacier by people with varying levels of ability with the needs of salmon, bears, birds and other sensitive resources that require protection."

"Our contractor, Corvus Design, will facilitate multiple charrettes over several months" says Forest Service Landscape Architect Eric Ouderkirk, who helped develop the project. "This will be a collaborative effort to look far ahead, even 50 years out, at a vision for this very popular recreation area."

The Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center received 550,000 visits during the summer of 2016, and according to Director John Neary, "We need improvements to traffic flow, trails, viewing platforms, covered viewing areas and food venues." Neary has been promoting the idea of improving facilities around the visitor center with an eye toward sustainability. However, this phase of planning will be for the entire recreation area. He advises people to show up to these charrettes if they love any part of the Mendenhall Glacier Recreation Area, not only the Visitor Center, but also the West side of the lake and the Dredge Lakes area.

Please join the Forest Service for the first charrette on Sept. 7, 6:30 p.m.

For more information, contact John Neary at 907-789-6637 or jneary@xxxxxxxxx.

-USDA-

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately. To manage your subscription visit http://www.fs.fed.us/news/subscription.shtml

[Index of Archives]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs Forum]     [Yosemite Camping]     [Yosemite Upper Pines Campground]     [Yosemite Conditions]     [Big List of Linux Books]