SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Kaibab National Forest Information

Attached is today’s press release concerning Tourism Cares™ recent volunteer work on the Williams Ranger District.

Leslie Reed

Fire Information Officer

USDA Forest Service

Kaibab National Forest – South Zone

742 S. Clover Road, Williams, AZ 86046

(O) 928.635.5653

(F) 928.635.5680

lreed@xxxxxxxxx

Tourism Cares volunteers support Williams Ranger District

Williams, Ariz., Nov. 30, 2015—For Immediate Release.  Professionals from the tourism industry across the U.S. joined staff from the Williams Ranger District of the Kaibab National Forest on Nov. 2 to complete three projects across the district as part of the “Tourism Cares™ for our National Parks” program.

The three projects were chosen “based on both need and location, having projects that were close to town and easily accessible was important,” said Lisa Jones, recreation manager for the South Zone of the Kaibab National Forest and Williams Ranger District volunteer coordinator.

The work included a restoration project at McDougal Flat, east of Williams, in which volunteers trimmed smaller ponderosa pines as part of a larger grassland restoration project to restore habitat and benefit wildlife species such as pronghorn antelope, mule and white-tailed deer, and elk. Other animals that benefit from the restoration work completed include birds and hawks.

Other volunteers participated in painting and repairing recreation and information signs at the district offices. The 12 large signs, which were in poor condition, received a fresh coat of paint and a much needed facelift.

A last minute addition to the work roster included marking portions of the Bill Williams trail system starting at Buckskinner Park with reflective markers to assist trail users, as some of the trails had become difficult to follow.

Wildlife biologist Roger Joos said, “They did a really good job and accomplished more than I could have anticipated. They really went to it.”

Jones agreed, saying, “They did an incredible job. I heard from many of them that it was their first time being outdoors on a National Forest.”

The Williams Ranger District often has volunteers assist with projects including recent help from two local Boy Scout troops, the Arizona Antelope Foundation, the Arizona Elk Society and the BASIS School in Flagstaff, Ariz.

“I always have projects to do and will never turn volunteers away,” said Joos.

“As an agency, we greatly appreciate the enthusiasm and willingness of the volunteers. We were able to accomplish projects that would have otherwise not been completed this year,” said a thankful Jones.

In addition to the Williams Ranger District of the Kaibab National Forest, the City of Williams also hosted and benefitted from the volunteer work, which included painting city hall, the Williams Visitor Center and the Rodeo Ground’s barn.

Williams was the first stop of five, part of the Tourism Cares™ series to benefit the National Park system ahead of their centennial celebration in 2016. Future stops across the country include Atlanta, Minneapolis, Seattle, and New York. Tourism Cares identified their destinations based on coordinating with the National Park System and on where volunteers could have a high impact.