SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Kaibab National Forest Information

Good morning,

We are pleased to recognize the work of Kaibab National Forest soil scientist Kit MacDonald in supporting the Forest Service’s efforts to protect water quality. See the story for details. Photos are included in the attached .pdf. If you’d like stand-alone .jpg files of the images, please let me know.

Thank you,
Jackie

Forest Service Shield

Jacqueline C. Banks
Public Affairs Officer

Forest Service

Kaibab National Forest

p: 928-635-8314
c: 928-606-7490
jcbanks@xxxxxxxxx

800 S. 6th St.
Williams, AZ 86046
www.fs.usda.gov/kaibab

Caring for the land and serving people

Kaibab National Forest soil scientist receives national-level award for watershed resources work

Williams, Ariz., June 2, 2015—For Immediate Release. Kaibab National Forest’s soil scientist was recently one of several recipients of a national-level Forest Service award recognizing collaborative efforts in aquatic resource management.

Kit MacDonald, who has been the Kaibab’s soil scientist since 2010, was one of several team members, both active and retired Forest Service employees, selected for the “National Rise to the Future” award in Collaborative/Integrative Aquatic Stewardship. Specifically, the team pioneered the first and only nationally consistent, comprehensive approach to Best Management Practices for the diverse range of ground-disturbing activities that occur on National Forest System lands. BMPs are land management practices designed to reduce or eliminate the introduction of pollutants to water bodies such as streams, lakes and wetlands.

“Kit provided tremendous contributions to the National BMP Program,” said Pamela Edwards, a research hydrologist for the Forest Service Northern Research Station and a leader in the agency’s efforts to establish a national approach to responding to water quality concerns. “He was involved in a huge amount of support for the program in many areas but especially in providing BMP monitoring training to field units. He was a great asset and brought a lot of on-the-ground experience from which we could draw.”

The National BMP Program that the team developed includes a framework for using an interdisciplinary process to identify needed BMP prescriptions during project planning. The framework also includes a systematic approach to monitoring the implementation and effectiveness of those prescriptions to protect water quality.

The program has improved performance, accountability, consistency and efficiency in protecting water quality and aquatic resources. It is helping the Forest Service meet its stewardship objective of providing abundant, clean water to meet the needs of the public and ecosystems.

“Best Management Practices have been an important part of my career as a soil scientist for many years,” MacDonald said. “Maintaining soil productivity through prevention of erosion and contamination, and protecting water quality during land disturbing activities are among my core values as a steward of soils and watershed resources.”

BMP team members, including MacDonald, were presented with their “National Rise to the Future” award May 18 at a reception at the National Archives in Washington, D.C., hosted by Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell and Associate Chief Mary Wagner.

“I was very excited that the team won this prestigious award,” MacDonald said. “The Forest Service is recognized nationally and internationally for excellence in stewardship of land and aquatic resources. It is truly an honor to be acknowledged by the Forest Service for my contribution to what I feel is world-renowned stewardship of public lands.”

[Index of Archives]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs Forum]     [Yosemite Camping]     [Yosemite Upper Pines Campground]     [Yosemite Conditions]     [Big List of Linux Books]