SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Coconino National Forest

Title: USDA Banner - Description: Horizontal green banner of solid color bearing the USDA logo on the left side.

U.S. Forest Service
Coconino National Forest
1824 S. Thompson St
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
www.coconinonationalforest.us
www.twitter.com/coconinonf
www.flickr.com/coconinonationalforest

News Release

Media Contact: Brady Smith
928-527-3490
bradysmith@xxxxxxxxx

Title: Forest Service logo - Description: Logo that reads:" Forest Service U S Department of Agriculture" all enclosed in a shield shape with a tree shape in the middle.

Forest Service to host multi-agency wildfire preparedness training in Verde Valley

Camp Verde, Ariz., Mar. 25, 2015, For Immediate Release — The Forest Service will host a wildfire preparedness drill on Thursday at the Verde Ranger Station, which will consist of various training scenarios that include personnel from federal, state, and municipal fire agencies.

All of the Verde Valley emergency management agencies will train together at this pre-season drill to ensure a seamless response from the very onset of an incident, as wildfire can affect not only the National Forest, but the entire range of jurisdictional lands in some way.

“If we all train together now, we’re better equipped to respond in a coordinated manner during the crucial first moments of a wildfire,” said Travis Mabery, Coconino National Forest fire manager and training coordinator for Thursday’s drill. “We all have our own areas of response. This training will help us understand each other’s roles and develop consistent communications.”

Last year’s Slide Fire in Oak Creek Canyon was a prime example of successful multi-agency response. The Federal, State, and Local agencies working together at the start of the incident made all the difference in the long term. Without that strong teamwork, the results of the Slide Fire could have been very different. Such successful efforts are the result of years of common training and pre-season collaboration amongst fire responders.

The Verde Valley agencies are committed to providing the community with the same successful coordinated response. Representatives from the following organizations will be participating in Thursday’s training:

·        Coconino National Forest

·        Prescott National Forest

·        Sedona Fire Department

·        Verde Valley Fire Department

·        Montezuma Rimrock Fire Department

·        Camp Verde Fire Department

·        Jerome Fire Department

·        Cottonwood Fire Department

·        Clarkdale Fire Department

·        Yavapai County Office of Emergency Management

·        National Park Service

For information on how the public can also be prepared for, and prevent, wildfires, visit the following websites or contact the local Forest Service and Fire Department offices.

·        Ready, Set, Go www.wildlandfirersg.org

·        www.firewise.org

·        www.fs.usda.gov/prescott

·        www.fs.usda.gov/coconino

·        www.yavapai.us

###

Brady Smith, MBA
Public Affairs Officer

Forest Service

Coconino National Forest,

Supervisor's Office

p: 928-527-3490
bradysmith@xxxxxxxxx

1824 S. Thompson Street
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
www.coconinonationalforest.us
http://wwwstatic.fs.usda.gov/images/email/usda-logo.png Twitter Logo

Caring for the land
and serving people

[Index of Archives]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs Forum]     [Yosemite Camping]     [Yosemite Upper Pines Campground]     [Yosemite Conditions]     [Big List of Linux Books]