ALASKA-NEWS-RELEASE: Chugach Children's Forest

Macintosh HD:Users:zorba:Documents:chugach stuff:news releases:ccf-logo.ai

Get OUT! Go WILD! Change the FUTURE!

May 31, 2013

Contacts:          Mona Spargo‑Chugach National Forest-743-9572
Sarah Warnock‑Alaska Geographic-
530-304-4621

Alaska Geographic and Chugach National Forest enter the 5th year of the Chugach Children’s Forest (CCF) programs for youth and communities living in and around the Chugach National Forest. Two programs kick off this weekend: a ten-day youth kayak expedition in Prince William Sound and Kid’s Fishing Day in Portage Valley. The Chugach Children’s Forest creates exciting opportunities for Alaska’s youth and communities, connecting them with the magnificent Chugach National Forest and other neighboring public lands. Since 2009, over 20,000 youth, educators, and volunteers have been part of the Chugach Children’s Forest.

On May 31 ten youth from around the Chugach area from Anchorage to Cordova will embark on a ten-day kayak expedition in Prince William Sound. The youth will learn kayaking and backcountry skills, and will venture to Nellie Juan to collect marine debris and clean campsites. Terell Caldwell, a previous expedition participant, talks about the impact the experience had on her: "Being involved with the expeditions inspired me to consider a career as an outdoor guide, and to maybe work with visitors to national parks and forests. I would never have known that was a possibility for me."

On June 1st Kid’s Fishing Day will take place in Portage Valley. Kids aged 13 years and younger are welcomed at the Moose Flats area from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm for a day of fishing activities and games and a free BBQ.

Nearly 30 community partners are now contributing to the Chugach Children’s Forest. Jeff Chen, Alaska Outreach Coordinator for the Student Conservation Association, an important partner, shares his outlook on the CCF: “Chugach Children’s Forest fosters important relationships between young people and public lands. With the skills nurtured in these programs, students walk away with more opportunities to find internships and employment with conservation organizations and natural resource management agencies and businesses. These programs are of extreme importance as we move toward a future where our conservation ideals and workforce are truly representative of the many great cultures we have in Alaska.”

Other Chugach Children’s Forest activities scheduled for summer include a boat-based research expedition for middle-school students in PWS, volunteer weed pulls, and day trips for youth to Spencer Glacier. Led by Alaska Geographic and the Chugach National Forest, the Chugach Children’s Forest is an inclusive effort that works in partnership with Alaska’s communities, educators, non-profits, and public lands Visit www.chugachchildrensforest.org/ www.facebook.com/chugachchildrensforest/ or follow us on twitter @ChugachCF to find out more about the Children’s Forest program.

[Index of Archives]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs Forum]     [Yosemite Camping]     [Yosemite Upper Pines Campground]     [Yosemite Conditions]     [Big List of Linux Books]