ALASKA-NEWS-RELEASE: Sitka Forest Service Employees Aim to Drive Out Hunger

Tongass National Forest

   News Release

Erin Uloth • Public Affairs Officer • Work: 907-228-6201 • Cell: 907-617-8668

For release: July 26, 2010

Sitka Forest Service Employees Aim to Drive Out Hunger

Sitka, AK— The Sitka Office of the Tongass National Forest is working to make this a “summer of food” for local people and families in need of food assistance.  Sitka Forest Service employees are participating in the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) sponsored “Feds, Farmers and Friends Feed Families,” a summer long food drive by federal employees.

In June, the Sitka Forest Service Office dropped off 17 pounds of food to the Sitka Salvation Army, and July’s contribution will likely double that amount.  Last year, federal employees across the country donated 1 million pounds of food to our nation’s emergency food assistance agencies, and this year the government aims to donate 1.2 million pounds.

Stacy Porto, a USDA representative reported that, so far, the USDA has donated over 23,000 lbs of both fresh and non-perishable foods through this drive. “We are halfway to our goal, and in 2nd place across the federal government,” said Stacy in a recent food drive update.

“We are encouraging employees to bring in non-perishable food items – especially nutritious foods and sources of protein – to support this important effort,” said Michelle Putz, a writer/editor for the Forest and local organizer of the food drive. “We’ll continue gathering and donating food all summer. We may never know who our donations will help, but it is great to know that we are helping local people fight hunger.”

If Sitka residents would like to participate in this summer food drive, they can drop non-perishable food off at either the Salvation Army or drop it by the Forest Service office Monday –Friday, 8-4:30.  The Sitka Forest Service office will continue gathering and donating food until the end of August. Please contact Michelle Putz (907-747-4278) with further questions.

**

***

Erin Uloth

***
Partnerships and Public Affairs Staff Officer
Tongass National Forest
w. 907.228.6201   /   f. 907.228.6292 /  c. 907.617.8668
euloth@xxxxxxxxx

[A state of doubt is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous / Voltaire]

[Index of Archives]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs Forum]     [Yosemite Camping]     [Yosemite Upper Pines Campground]     [Yosemite Conditions]     [Big List of Linux Books]