(907) 586-7876
Date: January 22, 2010

Forest Service Announces New Chugach National Forest Leaders

JUNEAU, Alaska- Regional Forester Ruth Monahan, named Nancy Hall Peak as acting Chugach National Forest Supervisor and Teresa Benson as the forest’s acting Deputy Forest Supervisor. The two will replace former Forest Supervisor Joe Meade and acting Deputy Supervisor Steve Kessler. Both women will serve on the Chugach for approximately four months.

Peak  is currently serving as the Deputy Forest Supervisor of the Helena National Forest in Montana.  Her previous assignments include nine years as Jackson District Ranger on the Bridger-Teton National Forest in Wyoming and earlier she served as the Eastern Region Forest Service Human Resources and Workforce Diversity Program Manager in Milwaukee, Wisc. Peak brings experience in recreation management, climate change and sustainability, and she is also currently serving as the forest’s tribal liaison.

“I’m very much looking forward to this leadership opportunity,” said Peak. “My background in administration and natural resource management, as well as my experience as a deputy forest supervisor were great preparation for assuming this position. I expect to continue the good work the Chugach is accomplishing, and I’m excited to begin working with all of our partners.”

Peak and her husband, Les, should arrive in Anchorage in mid-February.

Teresa Benson is temporarily leaving her current position as Cordova District Ranger to assume the deputy forest supervisor duties. Prior to her ranger duties she worked as Glacier Ranger District Resources Staff Officer. Benson will begin her new position in early February.

Joe Meade leaves Anchorage next week for his new position as director of the Forest Service National Partnerships Office in Washington, D.C. Steve Kessler will serve as acting Chugach Forest Supervisor until Peak’s arrival. He will then return to his permanent position as the Anchorage-based Alaska Region Subsistence Program Leader.

-30-