NATIONAL-NEWS-RELEASE: CHIEF'S STATEMENT ON CENTRAL KUPREANOF TIMBER HARVEST PROJECT

  STATEMENT
  USDA FOREST SERVICE
  Press Office 201 14th Street, SW
  Washington, D.C., 2002
  Voice (202) 205-1134
  Web:  http://www.fs.fed.us

Release No.0910
Contact: Press Office, 202.205.1134

CHIEF'S STATEMENT ON CENTRAL KUPREANOF TIMBER HARVEST PROJECT

        WASHINGTON, Oct.10, 2009 - The Forest Service has received questions regarding the procedural situation for the Central Kupreanof Timber Harvest Project on the Tongass National Forest in Alaska. The Final Environmental Impact Statement released this week is NOT a decision document.  It is the environmental analysis of the project.

         "We will be reviewing the FEIS and the range of alternatives presented as part of that analysis," said Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell. "Our decision, when it is made, will be the alternative which best accelerates transition from old growth to young growth harvest on the Tongass to achieve restoration objectives, provide jobs and economic activity. Our decision will thoroughly address the environmental aspects of the project, including protection of roadless values."

        #

Allison L Stewart
National Press Officer
Office of the Chief