Advisory: USDA to Announce New Strategy for Improving Forest Conditions

Title: Advisory: USDA to Announce New Strategy for Improving Forest Conditions

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Header Media Advisory

You are subscribed to USDA Office of Communications.

Contact: USDA Press
Email: press@xxxxxxxxxxx

ADVISORY: USDA to Announce New Strategy for Improving Forest Conditions

(Washington, DC, August 15, 2018) – U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue and USDA Forest Service Interim Chief Vicki Christiansen will join Sen. Lisa Murkowski, Sen. Maria Cantwell, Sen. Steve Daines, Sen. Ron Wyden TOMMOROW, August 16, to announce a new strategy that delivers on the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Vision for Sound Stewardship on America’s Forests. A report of the strategy titled Toward Shared Stewardship Across Landscapes: An Outcome-based Investment Strategy describes the agency’s plan for managing catastrophic wildfires, along with the impacts of invasive species, drought, and insect and disease epidemics.

USDA Announces New Strategy for Improving Forest Conditions

WHAT: Secretary Perdue and Interim Chief Christiansen announce strategy for improving forest conditions.

WHEN: TOMORROW, Thursday, August 16 12:45 p.m.

WHERE: U.S. Capitol, S-115 Family Dining Room

BACKGROUND:

Federal and private forest land managers face a range of urgent challenges, including catastrophic wildfires, invasive species, degraded watersheds, and epidemics of forest insects and disease. As we see in California, the conditions fueling these circumstances are not improving. Of particular concern are longer fire seasons, the rising size and severity of wildfires, and the expanding risk to communities, natural resources, and firefighters. The only way we can begin to address the magnitude of the problem is if we greatly expand and strengthen our partnerships with states, jointly reviewing and setting priorities, employing each other’s unique knowledge, skills, tools and personnel. Toward Shared Stewardship across Landscapes: An Outcome-based investment Strategy aims to do just that.

NOTE: Media interested in attending must RSVP to press@xxxxxxxxxxx by TODAY, Wednesday, August 15th at 6:00 p.m. ET.

#

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender.

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]