ICYMI: Powering America with a More Sustainable Energy Future #USDAResults

Title: ICYMI: Powering America with a More Sustainable Energy Future #USDAResults

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Subscribe
Office of Communications

In case you missed it
The increase in production at Zena Forest Products in Salem, OR, last year provided family-wage employment to  Nic Schrock and Macario Espinoza who wo

Powering America with a More Sustainable Energy Future #USDAResults Chapter 10

"The health and well-being of our forests and our communities go hand in hand. With the Department of Agriculture, we are working to strengthen markets for forest products. By allocating millions of dollars to help expand technologies that encourage the use of wood in innovative ways, we are also striving to improve forest health and generate rural jobs."

– President Obama

In his National Forest Products Week Proclamation, the President recognized USDA's work to promote the use of wood energy and wood products. Our recent figures show that, total, the U.S. biobased economy is worth $393 billion and supports over 4.2 million jobs by putting cutting-edge innovation to good use through new uses for bioproducts. More specifically, since 2009, we’ve invested nearly $1 billion through grants, loans and loan guarantees to support over 230 wood energy projects across the country that reduce reliance on costly fossil fuels, support rural economic growth and advance forest restoration. And just last week, Secretary Vilsack announced that USDA will invest up to $7 million in grants for projects designed to expand wood products and wood energy markets that support sustainable forest management, especially in areas with high wildfire risks.

Want to learn more about the biobased economy? Tracey L. Long from Procter & Gamble discusses integrating renewable materials into Tide detergent, a classic, everyday American product that now carries the USDA Certified Biobased label.

Join us throughout the month of October as we tell the story of a proud legacy of rural innovation and its contribution to a new generation of renewable energy and biobased products; increasing American energy security, giving American consumers environmentally friendly choices, cutting our carbon pollution, strengthening America’s economy and with it the small towns and rural communities that so many call home. Follow along on usda.gov, on the USDA blog and by using #USDAResults, or catch up on Chapter X on our Medium site.

read more button

The week in pictures

The latest innovation in building: Next-generation lumber and mass timber products

Throughout the month we’ll tell the story of a proud legacy of rural innovation and its contribution to a new generation of renewable energy and biobased products.

Mr. Tom Vilsack, the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, spoke to FFA members Thursday morning at the 89th National FFA Convention & Expo in Indianapolis.

Watch Secretary Vilsack, address FFA members at the 89th National FFA Convention & Expo in Indianapolis.

The Gulf Coast ecosystem is vital to our nation and our economy.

“The federal government has a longstanding partnership with the five Gulf Coast States for conservation and restoration of the region.  Given the complexity and scope of the restoration challenges before us, it is imperative that we build on this partnership and work together on this multi-generational ecological restoration.” ~Secretary Vilsack

Since its creation more than 100 years ago, 4-H has expanded its focus from the field to the lab to keep pace with developments in agricultural techni

Since its creation more than 100 years ago, 4-H has expanded its focus from the field to the lab to keep pace with developments in agricultural techniques and technologies. Photo courtesy of 4-H.

On the USDA blog

Roundtable Isn’t Your Typical CIG Project
This isn’t your typical Conservation Innovation Grant (CIG) project. There’s no university collecting and analyzing data, or ground-breaking technology being evaluated here. Nope. This one is a good, old-fashioned meeting.

Gulf of Mexico Communities Depend on a Healthy Gulf
The Gulf Coast ecosystem is vital to our nation and our economy, providing valuable energy resources, abundant seafood, extraordinary recreational activities and a rich cultural heritage.  This ecosystem was significantly injured by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill—the worst environmental disaster in U.S. history—and has also suffered from harm caused by hurricanes, subsidence and other human actions and naturally-occurring events.

Fall is Here! Celebrate with Pumpkin, 5 Different Ways
Pumpkins aren’t just for Halloween! These versatile vegetables are an excellent source of vitamin A and dietary fiber. To demonstrate different ways you can incorporate this seasonal superstar, MyPlate is showcasing five easy recipes with pumpkin as the main ingredient.

Five Ways Agroforestry Can Grow Forest Products and Benefit Your Land, Your Pockets & Wildlife
Much of the beauty in American agricultural landscapes is complemented by the trees in those landscapes. We depend on these tree’s products every day–from the paper our children use in school, to many of the fruits we eat, the wood burning in our fireplaces, and the wildlife habitat created by those trees and forests.

U.S. and Mexico Collaborate on Organic Monitoring and Enforcement
As consumer demand for organic products continues to grow around the world, the USDA Organic Seal has become a leading global standard. USDA provides support for the vibrant organic sector, representing a retail market of over $43 billion in the United States alone.  USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) is excited to announce another way we are helping organic producers reach new markets and offering consumers additional organic products.

Youth Embracing Agricultural Innovation Grows a Three Leaf Clover into 4-H
National 4-H Week happens each October, a time when nearly six million youth celebrate their participation in 4-H.  Every year, clubs around the country showcase the great things that 4-H offers young people and highlight the incredible things they do to make a positive impact in their communities.

Collective Solar Victory in Virginia
Many people in this country would love to use solar or other types of renewable energy in their homes, but barriers may exist to stifle interest in small-scale renewable energy implementation.

Ecologists Look to Traditional Knowledge to Bolster Sustainability Science
People around the world manipulate ecosystems for their own purposes. It’s what you leave behind when you’re finished working or living in the area that determines whether the ecosystem survives or is irreparably harmed for future generations.

Agricultural Data Users Weigh-in on USDA Statistical Programs
As I’ve learned over my years with the National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS), in order to make an impact, our information needs to meet the needs of the people who use the data we produce. And while we constantly try to gauge and meet their needs, it is imperative to speak to our data users directly to get their input. We are open to feedback all the time and we hold annual special Data Users’ Meeting in Chicago every October.

Unique Conservation Partnership Helps Create Win-Win Situation
By keeping their grasslands intact, two Colorado ranches are reducing greenhouse gas emissions and protecting vital wildlife habitat, all while earning additional revenue.

Small Steps for Using the USDA Farm to School Census
Earlier this year, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) released final results from the 2015 USDA Farm to School Census, showing that more than 42,000 schools across the country are operating farm to school programs and another 10,000 have plans to start in the future. During the 2013-2014 school year, these schools purchased nearly $800 million worth of local products from farmers, ranchers, fishermen and other food producers – a 105 percent increase from the 2011-2012 school year – and tended to more than 7,101 school gardens.

Empowering America: USDA’s Cooperative Month Celebration
October is National Cooperative Month, and this year, USDA is helping to focus attention on the multiple ways cooperatives help build more vibrant communities and improve the livelihoods of their members. USDA’s theme for the annual celebration is: “Co-ops Empower America, USDA Empowers Co-ops.”

Helping States Build an Agricultural Future
Specialty crops—fruits, vegetables, nuts and nursery crops—are an agricultural and dietary staple.  They’re a central part of a healthy diet and are vital to the economic success of American agriculture and to the farmers and businesses that rely on them for their livelihoods.

State Agencies are Bringing the Farm to School!
From organizing statewide conferences, to training farmers and child nutrition professionals, to developing farm to school curricula and resources, state agencies are playing a big role in bringing the farm to school. This fact sheet describes effective strategies state agencies are using to help community food systems take root. Here’s a sampling of three ways state agencies are making an impact.

Listen

New USDA Streamlined Loan Program Available For Ag Producers
Agriculture Department EZ Guaranteed Loans are designed to expand both access to and lending sources for credit for beginning and small-scale farmers. (Rod Bain and Secretary Tom Vilsack)

Vilsack To FFA: Invite Everyone Into Agriculture
The Agriculture Secretary charged FFA members with explaining how inclusive agriculture is, and how everyone can be farmers and ranchers if they choose.(Rod Bain and Secretary Tom Vilsack)

Actuality: Vilsack On Including All Americans In The Ag Experience
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack shares efforts to bring more Americans into farming and ranching careers, and expresses the need for all to understand the importance of agriculture to our nation.

Precision Ag Practices And Farm Profitability
How is the adoption of precision agriculture tech on the farm connected to the overall profitability of the operation? (Rod Bain and economist David Schimmelpfennig)

Actuality: Precision Ag Adoption And Profitability Study
USDA economist David Schimmelpfennig discusses a recent study looking at how precision ag practices were adopted on various farms, and how that contributed to farm profitability.

Ag Conservation Easement Program Final Rule In The Books
A Farm Bill consolidation of conservation easement programs into one reached a milestone with the publishing of the final rule. (Rod Bain and Jessica Groves of USDA's Natural Resources Conservation Service)

Read about us in the news

How U.S. Farmers Would Gain From the Trans-Pacific Partnership (WSJ)
The White House is in an uphill battle to win support in Congress this year for the sweeping 12-nation trade agreement known as the Trans-Pacific Partnership, or TPP. Darci Vetter, chief agricultural negotiator in the office of the U.S. Trade Representative and a key figure in the negotiations, is helping to lead that charge. At The Wall Street Journal’s recent Global Food Forum, Ms. Vetter sat down with Rebecca Blumenstein, deputy editor in chief of the Journal, to discuss TPP and why she thinks it will level the playing field for U.S. farmers and food companies.

Vilsack challenges FFA members to help diversify agriculture (Agripulse)
INDIANAPOLIS, Oct. 20, 2016 - In his final address to a National FFA Convention, USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack urged FFA members to be the generation that opens up the doors of agriculture for all. Speaking today in Indianapolis at the opening session of the organization's 89th annual convention, Vilsack said FFA members can be some of the nation's best ambassadors for agriculture, a field that he says should be open to new producers and all kinds of production systems.

Sec Vilsack Says Diversity in Ag Key to Future (Ag Wired)
Diversity was the simple message Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack shared with FFA members at the 89th National FFA Convention. He encouraged each young person to be proud of our history in agriculture and to use their voice to tell that inspiring story. “I am here first and foremost today to thank FFA for it’s commitment to diversity. Each of you has the opportunity in a small but important way to advance the cause of agriculture in this country through diversity.”

Vilsack: More conversations needed with consumers (FeedStuffs)
It’s important for consumers, food processing companies and those who sell and produce food to have conservations about continuing to provide a broad array of diverse choices in the U.S. food system, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said on the sidelines of the National FFA Convention. Vilsack cited the rush to promote cage-free eggs as an excellent example of the lack of conversation throughout the process. Hotel chains, grocers and restaurants made a hurried push to feature only cage-free eggs. “They did this in isolation as a marketing effort without any thought on how the market was going to react,” he said.

USDA Grants for Rural Mississippi Farmers (Mississippi Public Broadcasting)
More than half a million dollars of new grants is heading to Mississippi rural areas going through hard economic times. The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced the rural economic development grants yesterday. Grants will go to groups in Mississippi and other states to help promote their products and diversify their farms. We spoke with Tom Vilsack -- U.S. Secretary of Agriculture. He says the latest grants are part of a continuing belief that rural economies can thrive again.

Vilsack shares concerns about global food security (Farm Futures)
Speaking at last week’s 30th anniversary World Food Prize symposium in Des Moines, Iowa, Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack discussed the Obama Administration’s efforts to address global food security, and how innovation and diversity in the agriculture sector can support a more food secure world. International leaders in agriculture, science and policy attend the annual World Food Prize event each October in Des Moines to hear from the top minds in the world on global food and ag issues.

USDA Initiative to Expand, Diversify Agriculture Workforce (Lancaster Farming)
The USDA has announced increased federal and private-sector support to expand and diversify the U.S. agricultural workforce by increasing opportunities in education, research and outreach. The announcement is part of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, and Rural Council initiative America the Bountiful, a collaboration with federal agencies and private-sector stakeholders to meet the growing demand for a skilled, diverse workforce in the rapidly evolving agricultural landscape.

Department of Agriculture to small-scale, urban farmers: We’re here to help (Michigan Radio NPR)
The United States Department of Agriculture is reaching out in a special way to women and minority farmers and growers in Michigan. What’s behind this focus on “non-traditional” growers? And why is the USDA making its Michigan announcement in Flint? USDA Farm Service Agency administrator Val Dolcini joined us today to talk about the USDA's push to reach out to these "non-traditional" producers, and some of the challenges facing today’s farmers and ranchers.

Share
An “all-of-the-above” energy strategy that works for our rural communities → http://bit.ly/results-ch10  #USDAResults ICYMI: We’re working to advance restoration efforts in the Gulf Coast → http://blogs.usda.gov/2016/10/20/gulf-of-mexico-communities-depend-on-a-health
"You are the generation that welcomes everyone into agriculture, and we are proud of you."-@USDA Sec. Tom Vilsack #TransformFFA @NationalFFA

U.S. Sec of #Ag Tom Vilsack reads a letter from @POTUS #FoodPrize16

Read how @USDA is helping power America w/sustainable energy future: http://bit.ly/2e91FzR  #USDAResults #NIFAImpacts #research #education

Subscribe

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]