ICYMI - The White House Rural Council: Support for Rural America from the Ground Up

Title: ICYMI - The White House Rural Council: Support for Rural America from the Ground Up

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Subscribe
Office of Communications

In case you missed it

The White House Rural Council

"In 1975, I graduated law school and moved with my wife Christie to her home state of Iowa. We chose Mount Pleasant, a town of about 8,000 people in the southeast part of the State, and it was during this early time in my career, as a private citizen, that I first saw how people in small towns and rural places work together to move their communities forward.

Mount Pleasant had a youth athletic facility that was in desperate need of repair, and time and time again, the City Council refused to pass a bond bill to pay for what was needed. So my neighbors and I took matters into our own hands, holding a radio pledge drive and raising over $200,000 in just a few days. We were still short of the funds we needed, so in true Iowa fashion, others stepped up.

Local businesses donated funds and supplies, while community members volunteered their time on nights and weekends to do the repairs themselves. Soon enough, Mount Pleasant had a beautiful new athletic facility for our children and our children’s children to enjoy. Through this experience, I came to understand that when communities come together around a common goal, the sky is the limit.

President Obama understands this too. The time he spent as an organizer on the South Side of Chicago taught him that more often than not, lasting change starts at the community level, and grows from the ground up. He has advanced a new approach to Federal engagement with local communities, moving away from an outdated, one-size-fits-all approach toward a more tailored model that is directed by the community’s vision, leverages local assets and responds to specific barriers. This approach has driven our work with rural communities. Over the course of this Administration, we’ve collaborated with rural leaders across the country to provide targeted Federal resources that advance their communities’ goals."

Secretary Vilsack

read more button

Read an op-ed from President Obama

New Investments in Rural America, White House Rural Council • Playlist

Share

In Rural America: Unemployment ↓ Child poverty ↓ Household incomes ↑ @POTUS reflects on America's rural resilience:

Support for rural America from the ground ↑. The Obama Administration's #RuralResults over nearly 8 years

 New strategies have gotten real #ruralresults by supporting rural America from the ground ↑. Here's how: http://bit.ly/whrc-results

 Full house at @penn_state for @WhiteHouse #RuralResults Forum. Thank you @USDA Sec #TomVilsack for recognizing partnership w/ DRA & @ARCgov!

Sec Vilsack: In the last 8 years, we've invested in building the rural economy by focusing on 4 pillars of economic potential. #ruralresults

Secretary Vilsack: New report shows biobased products industry adds $393B in value to the U.S. economy & 4.2 million jobs. #RuralResults

Secy: We have an obligation to speak boldly about good work happening in rural America. Our farmers are the best in the world #RuralResults

.@usda Sec of Ag explaining how systemic, interrelated Ag is to #ruralresults and success - goal is revitalizing rural economy @WhiteHouse

Sec Vilsack: Some of our #RuralResults together under the Obama Administration? ↑ rural wages ↓ rural child poverty ↓ rural unemployment

Rural strategies that work: 1) Reduce barriers 2) Leverage local & Federal resources 3) Focus on areas of greatest need #RuralResults

#RuralResults @USDA Secretary Vilsack: we are blessed because of what farmers & those in rural America do for the rest of us

Choctaw Nation investing heavily in summer school programs as tool for equity to achieve #RuralResults. @WhiteHouseAIAN

Secretary Vilsack: A good example of #RuralResults through the @WhiteHouse rural council? The Rural Jobs Accelerator ↓

 Subscribe

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]