USDA In Case You Missed It - #USDAResults: Rural America is Back in Business

Title: USDA In Case You Missed It - #USDAResults: Rural America is Back in Business

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Subscribe
Office of Communications

In Case You Missed It

Header

In all corners of rural America, we’re seeing the emergence of a more vibrant and diverse rural economy. Rural populations have stabilized and the rural unemployment rate has dropped below 6 percent for the first time since 2007. From 2012-2014, we saw rural child poverty fall by 3 percentage points. And two million fewer people now live in a state of food insecurity compared with its peak in 2011.

We know that when rural communities do well, America does well. And after years of stagnation following the harsh economic climate that took hold during the Great Recession, rural America is on the road to recovery and growth.

So how did we get here?

For nearly eight years, USDA has vigorously invested in the rural way of life, working together with federal, state and local partners to help more families make possible the dream of finding a safe and affordable home; to build schools, libraries, hospitals and public spaces; to facilitate the 21st century basic infrastructure of broadband; and to jumpstart the rural economy by infusing communities with the tools they need to innovate, thrive, stay competitive and draw in a more talented rural labor force for a wider array of businesses.

We’ve also driven policy and investment around building a sustainable economic future for our nation’s rural communities, outlining four key pillars that contribute to a modern rural American economy and rallying our partners to help draw investment from the private and foundational sectors to build these new markets and new opportunities from the bottom up.

Time and time again, we’ve proven that an investment in rural America is a good bet. We understand that the success of our rural strategy requires bringing everyone along—and that is the center of USDA’s partner-focused approach. And because of the hard work of everyday Americans and steadfast support from USDA and the entire Obama Administration, our rural communities are leading the way in our economy’s transition into the 21st century.

Join us throughout the month of September as we tell the important story of eight years of significant and transformative investments across the nation that have empowered rural America to continue leading the way, strengthening America’s economy, as well as the small towns and rural communities that so many call home. Follow along on usda.gov, on the USDA blog and by using #USDAResults, or catch up on Chapter IX on our Medium site.

read more button

The week in pictures

Rural town

Throughout the month you can join us as we tell the important story of how eight years of significant and transformative investments across the nation have empowered rural America to continue leading the way, strengthening America’s economy, as well as the small towns and rural communities that so many call home.

Four Pillars

How do we build a new, 21st century economy in rural America to complement the production of food, fiber and fuel? USDA’s answer is called the Four Pillars — a simple, four-part strategy for growth.

 Secretary Vilsack swore me in to be the Under Secretary for Rural Development (RD), and I'm so proud of the work we've accomplished.

“Secretary Vilsack swore me in to be the Under Secretary for Rural Development, and I'm so proud of the work we've accomplished.”
Lisa Mensah, Under Secretary for Rural Development. Read her story.

 Street sign

A street sign highlighting the budding South Carolina Low Country Promise Zone partnerships.

On the USDA blog

From Recovery to Renewal: Rural America’s Partner for Prosperity
Eight years ago this month, the US economy went into free fall. The crash of the housing market led to a chain of historic levels of bankruptcies and layoffs. The stock market would eventually lose 20% of its value; family incomes, investments, and home values were being crushed. Along with that, the hopes and dreams of many families.

Listen

Jerry Rickett - Executive Director, Kentucky Highlands Investment Corporation
USDA StrikeForce partner, Kentucky Highlands Investment Corporation, was formed in 1968 to stimulate growth and create employment opportunities in region of Southeastern Kentucky through partnerships and investment.

Wanda Proffitt - Director, Yancey County Economic Development Commission
In Burnsville, North Carolina, Country Cablevision now provides 2,000 homes with broadband speeds of up to 100 megabytes per second. The new service allows troops overseas to have live video connections with their friends and families, and it makes it easier for virtual visits at the local nursing home.

Christy Carr - Recipient, USDA’s Rural Development’s Single Family Housing Direct Loan Program
Five years ago, Christy Carr, mother of five, was newly divorced and unemployed, with a poor credit score. After landing a good job at a marketing company, she was able to apply for a USDA loan and made an offer on the house of her dreams. In the last eight years, one third of USDA’s Direct Home Loans have been allocated to single-parent households like Christy’s.

Share
 rural strategy that brings everyone along—that’s the center of our approach: http://bit.ly/results-ch9  #USDAResults

Ag secretary Tom Vilsack pens a long piece on how rural America is on an upswing over at @Medium https://medium.com/usda-results/results-ch7-bac6adea0

New @USDA initiative will result in 10 new transitional housing units for NH. Learn more: https://www.shaheen.senate.gov/news/press/release/?id=a7cb7e

 .@USDA Secretary announces #NV named one of four states chosen for pilot program to help people in recovery.

Subscribe

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]