USDA In Case You Missed It - #USDAResults: A New Era for Civil Rights at USDA

Title: USDA In Case You Missed It - #USDAResults: A New Era for Civil Rights at USDA

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Subscribe
Office of Communications

In Case You Missed It

USDA Regional StrikeTeam Coordinator Sharon Nance and Espanola, NM organic farmer Don Bustos talk about the benefits of the USDA’s StrikeForce Initiat

With the average age of the American farmer exceeding 58 years, the necessity to usher a new generation into agriculture is also giving way to opportunity across the nation. Over the last eight years, USDA has engaged its resources to provide greater support to new farmers in a variety of ways, including a host of outreach activities to improve access to land, capital and technical assistance that are designed to develop a diverse and empowered next generation of farmers.

Just last week, we announced 37 projects funded in part by USDA to help educate, mentor and enhance the sustainability of our next generation of agriculture leaders.
Abstracts for this year's projects, which represent an investment of $17.8 million funded through USDA’s Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program (BFRDP), can be viewed on our website. Through programs like BFRDP, which since 2009 has invested more than $126 million in projects targeting new and beginning farmers and ranchers, USDA is prioritizing support for a new generation of farmers who are ready to step into the wide world of agriculture, many of them for the first time.

At the same time, we are working to dispel the perception that a career in agriculture can only mean being a farmer or rancher. Every year, nearly 60,000 jobs become available in food, agriculture, renewable natural resources and environmental fields, but only about 35,000 students are expected to graduate with degrees in these fields each year. Of these, almost half will be in management and business, and more than a quarter will be in STEM. You can read more about how the federal government is teaming up with strong partners like Archer Daniels Midland to help students find their niche in American agriculture in a joint op-ed written by Secretary Vilsack and ADM Chief Human Resources Officer Michael D’Ambrose in the Ames Tribune.

Join us throughout the month of August as we tell the important story of eight years of progress toward a more equal and inclusive USDA. Follow along on usda.gov, on the USDA blog and by using #USDAResults, or catch up on Chapter VIII on our Medium site.

read more button

The week in pictures

First Lady Michelle Obama with Farm to School Grantees at the White House in Washington, DC.

Throughout the month you can join us as we tell the important story of eight years of progress toward a more equal and inclusive USDA.

Veteran Tracy Robinson’s military experience counted toward farming experience, allowing him to access USDA microloan funding.

Veteran Tracy Robinson’s military experience counted toward farming experience, allowing him to access USDA microloan funding. Read his story.

 At an urban agriculture conference, Barker learned that USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service helps growers with irrigation efficiency, so she

At an urban agriculture conference, Barker learned that USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service helps growers with irrigation efficiency, so she reached out to NRCS District Conservationist Dan Lenthall for help.

Kirk Astroth, director of the Arizona 4-H Youth Development Program, center, traveled to Nepal in 2014 to teach a train-the-trainer program.

Kirk Astroth, director of the Arizona 4-H Youth Development Program, center, traveled to Nepal in 2014 to teach a train-the-trainer program that led to Nepal’s first 4-H national organization. (Photo courtesy of Kirk Astroth)

Summer meal and farmers market offerings include local cherry tomatoes.

Across the country, sponsors of USDA’s Summer Meals Programs are joining forces with their local farmers markets, realizing a multitude of shared benefits.  These partnerships increase access to the local seasonal bounty the summer months have to offer and help keep kids and their families nourished and active while school is out.

On the USDA blog

USDA Wallace-Carver Fellowship Grows the Next Generation of Agricultural Leaders
Over the course of the Administration, recruiting the next generation of agricultural leaders has been a key priority for USDA. Last week, I had the opportunity to meet some impressive young people who will lead this field in the 21st century.

Military Experience Opens Door for Soldier to Return to the Farm
Graduating from high school in the small town of Blakely, Georgia, Tracy Robinson was required to take an armed forces aptitude test. When asked what he wanted to do with his life, Robinson said he wanted to farm. The Marine recruiter told him he would be a great field artilleryman.

Citizen Science is Sound Science Provided by You
Have you ever seen a cool bird in your backyard and wondered if there was some way to share what you saw with others? Better yet, have you thought about sharing your observations and having them used to help study and conserve those birds? These thoughts are an indicator that you might have the makings of a great
citizen scientist!

Helping an Urban Farmer Connect People with Food
When Amanda Barker arrived in Worcester, Massachusetts, in 2009 to start graduate school at Clark University she knew that she wanted to grow food and build community. “My hope was to figure out a way to connect people with food, get people talking to each other,” said Barker.

Teaching Rural Alaskans to Farm is her Passion
Heidi Rader planned to become a farmer when she graduated from college. During high school and college, she worked a succession of jobs at greenhouses and farms that seemed to be leading to an agricultural career. For her master’s degree, she grew snap beans and lettuce, and studied high-tunnel production at University of Alaska Fairbanks’ School of Natural Resources and Extension Fairbanks Experiment Farm.

Experimental Farming in the Name of Soil Health: Steve Siverling’s Story
My name is Steve Siverling, and I plant corn, soybeans and a few small grains on 350 acres in northern Wisconsin.  But what I am growing is soil health; I am a biological farmer. I began my soil health journey and evolution to a biological farmer 20 years ago when I purchased 80 acres near my farm. The soil pH was low, around 5.5, and there was less than one percent organic matter. I couldn’t make immediate improvements to the land that would allow me to plant a crop that could tolerate those conditions, but I had to try something.

49 Historic Sites in the 49th State
This year America celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the National Historic Preservation Act. Alaska was still celebrating its first decade of statehood when the Preservation Act was passed by President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1966. Since then, the act has empowered the U.S. Forest Service to identify and preserve the state’s rich cultural history, including heritage sites that date back to time immemorial.

Farmers Market Managers: Innovative Entrepreneurs Meeting Community Needs
The demand for local food is strong and growing. To meet the growing demand, farmers market managers are becoming creative entrepreneurs who connect rural America to urban and suburban businesses.

International Youth Day: NIFA Helps Provide Sustainable Youth Leadership
Recognizing the voice of youth is important and USDA’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) plays a key role in providing
positive youth development through the internationally recognized 4-H program, which empowers youth to reach their full potential, working and learning in partnership with caring adults.

Getting Ready for Back to School? It’s MyPlate Quiz Time!
Think you know a lot about the five food groups? The USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion – the group that created MyPlate – just released a set of
quizzes on the five food groups. These quizzes, designed to challenge, teach, and even entertain, are intended for anyone who wants to learn about the food groups or wants a refresher – adults and kids alike.

Listen

Latest Round Of Support For Beginning Farmers And Ranchers
The Agriculture Department increased its investment in programs designed to educate and mentor new and beginning ag producers. (Rod Bain and Secretary Tom Vilsack)

USDA Farm Forums Coming Soon
The Agriculture Secretary and other high ranking USDA officials will conduct nationwide forums later this year to discuss pressing ag issues with participants. (Rod Bain and Secretary Tom Vilsack)

Vilsack: Opportunities Abound For All In Agriculture
The Agriculture Secretary believes more than ever before, opportunities are available for anyone to pursue an ag based career. (Rod Bain and Secretary Tom Vilsack)

Read about us in the news

Vilsack announces program for new farmers during Ames visit (Ames Tribune)
U.S. Secretary of Agriculture and former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack made a trip to Ames Wednesday to speak with new and beginning farmers about a program that will fund several projects throughout the country designed to help them thrive as new members of the agriculture industry. During the meeting that included roughly 20 young farmers and ranchers, Vilsack announced a new investment of $17.8 million for 37 projects to help educate, mentor, and enhance the sustainability of the next generation of farmers.

Rural Pride for Small Town LGBT
(Iowa Public Radio)
The U.S. Department of Agriculture and the National Center for Lesbian Rights brought their Rural Pride Summit to Des Moines Thursday. It offered a chance for the rural LGBT community to talk about their economic, health, legal and social concerns. The U.S. Department of Agriculture and the National Center for Lesbian Rights brought their Rural Pride Summit to Drake University. Des Moines was the 13th stop in the series, which began in 2014 as a way to increase the visibility of the LGBT community in rural America. It’s estimated that almost 10 percent of same-sex couples live in rural areas of the country.

USDA pledges $17.8 million to help next generation of farmers
(Delta Farm Press)
USDA is providing $17.8 million for 37 projects aimed at helping a new generation of farmers and ranchers make successful careers in agriculture. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced the grants at a meeting at Iowa State University today (Aug. 17). The investment is being made through USDA’s Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program. Since 2009, USDA has invested more than $126 million into projects targeting new and beginning farmers and ranchers through BFRDP.

Vilsack to meet with new farmers at ISU Wednesday
(Ames Tribune)
U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack will visit Iowa State University on Wednesday to kick off a series of events in the state promoting agriculture to younger generations. According to a press release, Vilsack will meet with new farmers and ranchers at ISU’s Kildee Hall. There, he will announce new funding and programs meant to help those beginning in agriculture succeed. The USDA has set aside $5.6 billion over the next two years for these programs, although it is unclear how many of these programs and funding initiatives will be made available for farmers in Story County.

Vilsack touts USDA inclusiveness at LGBT summit
(Quad city Times)
U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack told participants at a rural pride summit Wednesday he is proud of the "amazing cultural transformation" that has taken place during his seven-plus years at the helm of the nation's ag agency.

Top 7 Concerns of Young Farmers
(Successful Farming)
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack hosted a roundtable of young and beginning farmers at Iowa State University on August 17. As the men and women shared their stories and concerns, several themes stuck out. Here are seven of the biggest challenges facing young and beginning farmers.

Rural Summit Looks for Ways to Keep Gay Community From Leaving
(WHO-TV)
More likely to make less money, be more isolated and less confident in their health care choices are all challenges for members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender community who live in rural Iowa. Those challenges surfaced during discussions at the Rural Summit at Drake University in Des Moines Thursday.

Share“Everybody knows something & nobody knows it all." This week, a Texas farmer tells her story http://www.usda.gov/thisweek

Good news: @NationalFFA @DiscoveryEd & @AgCareers have a new way for #NewFarmers to explore ag careers. Take a spin→ http://AgExplorer.com

https://twitter.com/USDA/status/766299396195491841

 Together, we’ve come a long way. Five #USDAResults for a more equal America → http://bit.ly/results-ch8  #USDAResults

Farmers markets bring farm-fresh foods & fun to summer meals http://ow.ly/TR7m303b81P

Subscribe

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]