USDA In Case You Missed It - #USDAResults: Safer Food and Greater Consumer Confidence

Title: USDA In Case You Missed It - #USDAResults: Safer Food and Greater Consumer Confidence

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Subscribe
Office of Communications

In Case You Missed It

USDA Food Safety Inspection Service inspector checks the temperature of hot dogs to prevent multiplication of pathogenic bacteria.

Since the Federal Meat Inspection Act of 1906, over 100 years of science and research has helped us discover more about harmful pathogens and how to prevent illness than ever before. Today, our modern food safety system is comprised of a team of thousands of professionals at the federal, state and local levels who work together  to ensure the food on your table is safe to eat.

At the forefront of these efforts, USDA’s Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS) works diligently to promote food safety practices through inspections, improvement of policies and investigation of foodborne illness outbreaks.
Over the past eight years, our network has grown stronger, while at the same time, our practices have modernized to meet growing demand from customers around the world.

You can hear Craig Wilson, Vice President of Costco Wholesale talk about the importance of food safety prevention and explain the steps Costco takes to ensure they are providing safe and wholesome food for their customers.

Join us throughout the month of July as we explore the incredible progress we’ve made since 2009 to update and modernize America’s food safety system and standards. Follow along on usda.gov, on the USDA blog and by using #USDAResults, or catch up on Chapter VII on our Medium site.

read more button

The week in picturesSecretary Vilsack accepted the Federal Agency of the Year award from League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) and delivered remarks at the org

Secretary Vilsack accepted the Federal Agency of the Year award from League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) and delivered remarks at the organization’s 87th Annual National Convention. (Photo credit: LULAC)

Crops in a field

GAP certification
can make it easier for commercial buyers to find farmers and producers that meet food-safety requirements and offer consumers greater access to fresh produce.

USDA scientists have developed this low-cost yet effective system to detect active Shiga toxin.

USDA scientists developed this low-cost yet effective system
to detect active Shiga toxin.

Last week, Secretary Vilsack met with Mexican Secretary of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural Development, Fishery and Food, Jose Calzada, to discuss agric

Last week, Secretary Vilsack met with Mexican Secretary of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural Development, Fishery and Food, Jose Calzada, to discuss agricultural trade and production at USDA in Washington, D.C.

On the USDA blog

Secretary Vilsack on a New Era for Civil Rights and Equal Opportunity at USDA
On July 13, 2016, Secretary Vilsack accepted the Federal Agency of the Year award from League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) and delivered remarks at the organization’s 87th Annual National Convention. Read a transcript of his remarks or listen.

These “GAPs” in the Produce Industry Make for Safer Food Choices
Although farmers and food businesses have anywhere from several months to three years or more before they will need to comply with the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) new food safety rules, many producers are asking how they can bring their operation into compliance – and many buyers are beginning to ask how they’ll know if suppliers are following the rules.

Keeping our Promise to Families Affected by the Opioid Epidemic
Recently during a visit to New Hampshire, Gregory and Linda Drugan shared with me the painful story of the death of their son, Greg. Opioid addiction ended his life far too soon at the age of 30. Greg is one of thousands each year who lose their lives to opioid misuse. From 1993 to the 2013, opioid use has increased by 400 percent, exceeding 250 million prescriptions per year. And, opioids can start a journey down a horrible path that leads to heroin. In fact, 80 percent of recent heroin users are introduced to heroin through opioids.

Digital Plant Diagnosis: Turning a Mobile App into an Agricultural Game-Changer
Ireland lost about 20 percent of its population to starvation and emigration during the great famine of 1845-1849 because disease destroyed that nation’s major food source – potato. Today, an Irish-born professor at Penn State University believes that a similar situation in other regions, such as sub-Saharan Africa, could be a thousand times worse.

Simple, Inexpensive Camera System Detects Foodborne Toxins
As the weather heats up this summer, many of us are firing up our grills and going on picnics. But one thing we all want to avoid is getting food poisoning from the food or beverages we consume.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is Real, and It’s More Than Just a Nuisance
While being outside in Massachusetts this June, I first noticed it. A lot of leaves were falling from the trees, only these were chewed leaf parts, not whole leaves. Similar to the children’s book, The Very Hungry Caterpillar written by Eric Carle, some leaves didn’t just have chew marks but actual holes going straight through them. Unlike the children’s book, this damage isn’t being caused by a friendly caterpillar who turns into a butterfly. Instead it’s the result of ravenous gypsy moth caterpillars feeding…and feeding.

Listen

More of Our Eggs Coming from Hens Not in Cages
Most of our eggs still come from hens which are kept in small cages, but that method is beginning to change. Gary Crawford lays out this story. PARTICIPANTS Gary Crawford. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack. David Rettig, President of Rembrandt Foods, Spirit Lake, Iowa.

Putting Farmers Back into the Minds of Consumers and Students
When you eat, do you ever think of the farmers who brought you that food? Probably not, but there are efforts to change that. Gary Crawford has more. PARTICIPANTS: Gary Crawford. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack. Chris Policinski, CEO of Land O' Lakes. Also Ed Gardner and Shirley Booth.

A White House State "Dinner" for Some Special Kids
This week over fifty kids who won the Healthy Lunchtime Challenge are in Washington, D.C. to be hosted for a special meal at the White House. (Gary Crawford. First Lady Michelle Obama. Angie Tagtow)

The Acreage Totals And The Price Picture For Corn And Beans
How are USDA's July forecasts for corn and soybean supplies and prices impacted by last month's Acreage Reports? (Rod Bain and Chief Economist Rob Johansson)

Read about us in the news

Agriculture Secretary Takes on Crisis of Addiction in Rural Areas (Kentucky Educational Television)
It may seem like an unusual assignment to task the U.S. secretary of agriculture with finding solutions to the epidemic of heroin and prescription opioid abuse that’s sweeping the nation. But Tom Vilsack, the former Iowa governor who is the longest serving member of President Obama’s cabinet, is up to the job. His agency, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, oversees a wide range of programs that benefit rural America, where the addiction problem has taken a significant toll. And Vilsack grew up with a mother who abused alcohol and pills.

USDA releases energy grants for 33 Iowa farms, businesses (Associated Press)
The U.S. Department of Agriculture says 33 small Iowa businesses and farms have been awarded grants to reduce energy costs by improving lighting and installing solar energy systems. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack says more than $670,000 is approved for the projects including funding a wind energy project and improvements to grain dryer systems on two farms.

USDA to help 821 rural small businesses boost renewable energy use, save on energy costs (High Plains/Midwest Ag Journal)
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack recently announced funding for 821 projects across the nation that will help rural small businesses and agricultural producers reduce energy usage and costs in their operations. The funding is available through the Rural Energy for America Program and will be used to make energy efficiency improvements and install renewable energy systems.

Basking in the light: As the state goes green, the fed dollars follow (Greensboro)
North Carolina’s growing foothold on solar power helped it land more than half the loan support for renewable energy projects in this year’s allotment by a major, federal program for rural areas. The U.S. Department of Agriculture is announcing $43.2 million in loan guarantees today for rural, energy projects across the nation. Of that money, $24.7 million — 57 percent — will go to seven large projects in this state. The department’s Rural Energy for America Program, better known by its “REAP” acronym, also will distribute $11.6 million in grants to smaller projects nationwide, including more than $300,000 to 24 North Carolina recipients.

ON THE FARM: Women breaking grass ceiling in agricultural fields (The Free Lance Star)
These days, more women are flocking to agriculture schools for higher education. But they aren’t necessarily heading to the farm. Instead, they are becoming scientists, professors, teachers, journalists and policy analysts. At a time when schools are struggling to attract women to science and engineering fields, females outnumber males in getting college degrees in STEM fields related to farming, food and the environment.

ShareDo you know the 3 safe ways to thaw frozen food? Hint: On the kitchen counter is not one of them! #FoodSafety

“Here are the top 5 food safety changes we’ve made since 2009:” — Tom Vilsack

Weekend read: 6-part @NewsInTheBurg series on the changing face of farming in VA http://ow.ly/MOVZ302g9ZR  #NextGenAg

These “GAPs” in the produce industry make for safer food choices http://ow.ly/ATHj302fsBD  #foodsafety #USDAResults

How do we ensure the food on your table safe to eat? Read all about it → http://bit.ly/results-ch7  #USDAResults

Think you know the top 5 food safety changes since 2009? Test your knowledge → http://bit.ly/results-ch7  #USDAResults

Subscribe

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]