USDA In Case You Missed It - #USDAResults: Special Edition

Title: USDA In Case You Missed It - #USDAResults: Special Edition

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Subscribe
Office of Communications

In Case You Missed It

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack meets with Agriculture, Food and the Marine Minister Simon Coveney, and Ambassador of Ireland to the United States A

“In the last year, I have had the distinct pleasure of making 2 historic trips to Cuba — the first marked the first official U.S. Department of Agriculture visit to Cuba since 1961. While there, it was clear to me that throughout history, agriculture has served as a bridge to foster cooperation between vastly different nations. Through agricultural trade and collaboration, we not only open opportunities for American entrepreneurs, but also build stronger trust and understanding across borders.”

-Secretary Vilsack

Since President Obama announced that the United States would resume diplomatic ties with Cuba, Secretary Vilsack has traveled twice to the island. In addition, last week he hosted Cuban Minister of Agriculture, Gustavo Rodriguez Rollero, and a delegation of Cuban officials in Iowa. During the visit, Iowa farmer Aaron Lehman explained to Secretary Vilsack and to the Cuban delegation that he has slowly been transitioning his several hundred-acre farm from conventional to organic with support from USDA. The group also discussed the hurdles that farmers can sometimes face when obtaining farmland and how organic farming can be a viable pathway to start out small.

To highlight just how productive American agricultural exports from all sectors have been since 2009, we’ve also put together 22 facts you might not know about trade: http://bit.ly/trade-facts.

Join us throughout the month of June as we continue to explore how American agricultural exports have served as a bright spot for the U.S. economy since 2009 while helping to ensure our ambitious goals of ending poverty and hunger are met. Follow along on usda.gov, on the USDA blog and by using #USDAResults, or catch up on Chapter VI on our Medium site.

read more button

The week in pictures

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Alabama Congresswoman Terri Sewell tour a local farmers market in Havana, Cuba on Nov. 13, 2015.

In June, we’ll look at how American agricultural exports have served as a bright spot for the U.S. economy since 2009 while helping to ensure our ambitious goals of ending poverty and hunger are met.

Iowa Farmer Aaron Lehman tells Cuban delegation how he transitions his farm from conventional→organic with USDA support.

Iowa Farmer Aaron Lehman
tells Cuban delegation how he transitions his farm from conventional→organic with USDA support
.

Deputy Under Secretary Alexis Taylor saw USDA Food for Progress programs at work on a 2015 visit to Senegal.

Deputy Under Secretary Alexis Taylor
saw USDA Food for Progress programs at work on a 2015 visit to Senegal.

22 Facts You May Not Have Known About Trade

Agricultural trade is good for our rural communities and for America overall. Here are 22 facts you may not have known that just how productive American ag exports from all sectors have been since 2009.

Read about us in the news

Vilsack hopes meeting will push Congress on Cuba trade deal (Des Moines Register)
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said he is optimistic a visit with his Cuban counterpart Friday in Iowa can help build pressure on Congress to fully lift the embargo on trade with the communist country. The White House announced in late 2014 efforts to improve relations with Cuba's communist regime, including expanding trade. While President Barack Obama has eased some financial and travel restrictions and reopened the U.S. embassy in Havana, Congress has not agreed to lift the embargo.

Farming in the Desert (The Atlantic)
The new local culinary scene in America is about more than the great food trucks, farmers’ markets, and craft beer. We have seen inspired local food and agriculture efforts all over the country during our far-flung adventures for The Atlantic’s American Futures project, which is kicking off its new season this month.Through the remainder of this election year, my husband Jim and I will be reporting on the way that issues so bitterly contested in the national election play themselves out city by city, family by family. This installment is about how the local food movement, often assumed to be one more feature of upscale urban life, is taking hold and changing prospects in a remote desert town with very modest financial resources, and with a long history of the health problems that arise from poor nutrition.

Share

“Every day without a #TPP agreement is a day we’re losing market share…” — @USDA Sec Vilsack

95% of consumers live outside our borders. Opening the doors to trade leads to #USDAresults http://bit.ly/results-ch6

.@DealVikings 7th graders learn a life lesson that roots of mint tend to become a migrating nuisance #DealGivesBack

Climate change intensifying wildfire on National Forests http://ow.ly/2Jm8300LdNd

Subscribe

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]