USDA In Case You Missed It - #USDAResults Chapter 3

Title: USDA In Case You Missed It - #USDAResults Chapter 3

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Office of Communications Header

In Case You Missed It Header

Students at Hamilton Elementary Middle School in Baltimore, MD enjoy The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP).

Yesterday, we were pleased to launch the first in a two-part nutrition series in our year-long USDA Results storytelling effort. Chapter III, entitled Growing a Healthier Future: Improving Nutrition and Access to Healthy Food for Americans, invites you to travel with Secretary Vilsack and our partners through seven years of historic accomplishments.

Today, food insecurity, including the prevalence of hunger among children, has steadily declined from its peak in 2011. Data shows that obesity rates are falling among young kids due in part to the nutritional improvements made to WIC. Our core USDA nutrition assistance programs are reaching more people in need. And because of changes made under the historic Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, over 50 million children have a healthier food environment at school. Our steadfast partners have worked alongside us every step of the way to strengthen the nutrition programs that support our nation’s vulnerable populations while improving the nutritional quality of the foods we provide.

Yesterday, Secretary Vilsack kicked off a month-long celebration of USDA’s work in nutrition with a blog reflecting on some of the historic changes that have come to pass under the Obama Administration. Stay tuned for Part II launched next week!

We hope you’ll join us throughout the month on usda.gov, on the USDA blog and by using #USDAResults. You can also catch up on Chapter I and Chapter II by visiting our Medium site at: www.medium.com/usda-results.

Pictures

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack joined First Lady Michelle Obama and celebrity cook Rachel Ray at Parklawn Elementary School

Students saw, touched and sometimes tasted produce that was new to them at Nottingham Elementary School in Arlington, VA

Farmers in a Rockingham County, Virginia check the results of no-till farming in their fields.

Connect
U.S. kids are eating more fruits & veggies at lunch. Catch up on more #USDAResults → http://www.medium.com/usda-results

Sec Vilsack: How the biggest #USDAResults in our nation’s nutrition programs came to be → http://ow.ly/YWk4n

↑ access to nutritious food ✔ ↓ poverty & hunger ✔ Healthier families & kids ✔ Just a few #USDAResults → http://bit.ly/1LuEJcz

97% of schools are meeting USDA’s updated school meal standards. #USDAResults http://bit.ly/1QpmJxb

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]