USDA In Case You Missed It - #USDAResults: Chapter 1 - Celebrating America’s Farmers and Ranchers

Title: USDA In Case You Missed It - #USDAResults: Chapter 1 - Celebrating America’s Farmers and Ranchers

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Subscribe
Office of Communications Header

In Case You Missed It Header

10TV news anchor and Town Hall moderator Jerry Revish interviews  Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack about the Strikeforce expansion into Ohio
In his seventh and final State of the Union Address last week, President Obama discussed Administration-wide accomplishments over nearly eight years to empower communities to meet the challenges and opportunities they face, while setting a course for an even stronger and more resilient America in the years to come.

To echo the President’s message, Secretary Vilsack traveled to Columbus, Ohio to hold a rural opportunity town hall where he announced the expansion of USDA’s StrikeForce for Rural Growth and Opportunity Initiative to four new states: Ohio, Florida, Missouri and Montana. Last week’s announcement brings USDA’s total StrikeForce investment to $23.5 billion, creating jobs, building homes, feeding children, assisting farmers and conserving natural resources in the country’s high-poverty rural areas. By partnering with more than 1,500 community organizations, businesses, foundations, universities, faith-based and other community groups, the StrikeForce has brought promise and results to 970 counties through support of nearly 190,000 projects nationwide. Read more about USDA’s StrikeForce Initiative and learn about USDA’s overall investments in each of the four new states, including Ohio where the announcement was made.

In honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Secretary Vilsack also thanked the employees of USDA for their years of dedicated work in support of Dr. King’s life and legacy of service on behalf of the American people. You can read his letter on the USDA Blog.

Throughout 2016, we’ll be taking a look back at how eight years of historic investments from the Obama Administration and USDA have supported our nation’s producers, yielding positive #‎USDAResults for the American farmer and for the American people. Tune in each month for a new focus, beginning this month with a celebration of the American farmers and ranchers who work tirelessly to ensure that our food supply is safe, plentiful and nutritious: medium.com/usda-results.

The Week in Pictures

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack meets with Braeden Mannering
Last week, Secretary Tom Vilsack met with Braeden Mannering, a guest of First Lady Michelle Obama for the State of the Union and founder of non-profit 3B Brae’s Brown Bags, which provides hope and nourishment to homeless and low-income individuals.

Agricuture Secretary Tom Vilsack reads notes thanking a farmer while attending the American Farm Bureau Federation Annual Convention on Sunday, Jan. 1
Secretary Vilsack launched his own Medium page from the American Farm Bureau Conventions in Orlando. His first post is about 5 big changes in rural America. More to come!

Today in Ohio: Secretary Vilsack will host #SOTU event to announce USDA's latest efforts to expand rural opportunity
At Ohio State University, Secretary Vilsack announced the expansion of USDA's StrikeForce for Rural Growth and Opportunity Initiative to 11 counties in Ohio. USDA also released a fact sheet of all of our investments in Ohio.

ICYMI on the USDA Blog

Honoring a Legacy of Service on Martin Luther King Jr. Day
On Monday, we celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., a man whose legacy in support of a unified and equal America gives profound meaning to what our efforts in public service can and should look like. Dr. King believed we are each stronger when we lift up our neighbors. He lived his life advocating on behalf of the idea that we are better as a nation when no one is left behind. As we enter the final year of this Administration and I begin to look back on the progress we’ve made as a Department, I’d like to reflect on the ways the dedicated employees of USDA have honored Dr. King’s dream by creating opportunities for—and upholding the unalienable rights of—every American.

Designated Promise Zones Keep Rural America Strong
As a law student, I spent a summer working and living with the Sokoagon Band of the Chippewa, a Native American tribe located in rural Northern Wisconsin.  Tribal leaders and members extended to me their kindness, friendship, passion and laughter.  They are some of our country’s finest.

Farming Nature’s Way
No-till farming used to be only about reducing soil erosion. Today, continuous no-till is the preferred tillage system in some areas. Why? It’s all about soil health.

Georgia School Gardens Nourish Healthy Habits
The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 celebrated its fifth anniversary last month, and I can tell you it has made a difference!  I think back on the past five years and am proud of the strides we’ve made in giving students access to more local and healthy food in our schools.

Oregon Organic Farmer Unlocks Soil Health Secrets and Boosts Production
For agricultural producers, it’s an age-old question: How do you grow the largest, healthiest, most-profitable crops possible? Oregon organic farmer Chris Roehm says the secret is in the soil.

Read About Us in the News

Here’s how the White House plans to address rural America’s struggle with heroin (Washington Post 1/15)

The White House will announce Friday that President Obama is appointing Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, his Cabinet’s longest-serving member, to lead a new interagency effort focused on addressing rural America’s struggle with heroin and opioid abuse as well as other pressing problems.

Obama picks Tom Vilsack to address heroin spike (CNN 1/15)

President Barack Obama is naming a Cabinet-level point person to address the problem of heroin and other opiate use in rural communities, the White House said Friday. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, the longest-serving member of Obama's original Cabinet, will head an effort probing many of the particular ailments facing America's small towns.

US Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack has planned a visit to Ohio to talk about rural growth and opportunity (Associated Press/Fox 13 1/15)

U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack has planned a visit to Ohio to talk about rural growth and opportunity. Vilsack was scheduled to appear in Columbus Friday along with Ohio State University President Michael Drake. The U.S. Department of Agriculture says it has invested more than $32 billion in Ohio's economy and an announcement by Vilsack will show a commitment to further spending. The event is part of a White house effort sending cabinet members around the country to talk about issues raised in President Barack Obama's State of the Union address earlier this week.

Exclusive interview with Ag Secretary Tom Vilsack (Brownfield Ag News 1/14)[AUDIO]

In an exclusive interview today with Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, we covered several topics including Vilsack’s thoughts on President Obama’s State of the Union address as it relates to rural America; the need to invest more in agricultural research; the Secretary’s recent meeting with representatives of both sides of the contentious GMO labeling issue; requests to have cottonseed designated as an oilseed; and China’s anti-dumping and anti-subsidy probes of DDGS imports from the U.S.

Ag Secy Vilsack Talks SOTU, Trade & Climate (AgWired 1/14)[AUDIO]

USDA Ag Secretary Tom Vilsack held a press call yesterday to discuss President Obama’s last State of the Union (SOTU) address. Vilsack, who has served in the capacity of Ag Secretary throughout Obama’s Administration, was in attendance during the speech. He said he is very proud to have been part of an administration that has basically taken the country from a brink of an economic collapse to where we are today. He noted that there is still a lot of work to do and one way change will continue is through what President Obama termed the “innovation economy”.

Obama highlights trade, climate change in State of the Union (FeedStuffs 1/13)

Some familiar subjects again surfaced in this year’s State of the Union address from President Obama as he highlighted the need for passing the Trans-Pacific Partnership and need to address global issues such as climate change. He noted that the TPP agreement opens up markets, protects workers and the environment, and advances American leadership in Asia. “With TPP, China does not set the rules in that region; we do. You want to show our strength in this new century? Approve this agreement. Give us the tools to enforce it. It's the right thing to do,” he said.

Vilsack's State of the Union Sneak Peek (AgWeb 1/12)[AUDIO]

In his Jan. 12 State of the Union address, President Barack Obama is expected to cover a variety of domestic and foreign issues. Will agriculture get any of the limelight? U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack says certain issues that affect the industry may very well get mentioned. “I think he is going to make a strong pitch for the Trans-Pacific Partnership,” he said during a radio interview with AgriTalk’s Mike Adams. “I think he recognizes the importance it plays in maintaining the economic strength of America.

(AUDIO) VILSACK ON TRADE WHILE AT AFBF (KTIC Radio 1/12)

U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, Tom Vilsack, made an appearance at American Farm Bureau Annual Meeting in Orlando. Farm Bureau has been asking members at conference to complete surveys about USDA and it’s programs. This would then help the agency to better serve the producers.

Farmers grill USDA chief on issues (Capital Press 1/11)

Growers who attended the American Farm Bureau Federation’s this week convention got the rare opportunity to directly grill USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack about his agency’s policies.

USDA secretary announces energy efficiency loan program (Associated Press/ San Francisco Chronicle 1/8)

U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Vermont officials have announced a $46 million dollar loan program that will be used to help Vermonters and small businesses improve energy efficiency. Vilsack was joined by Democratic U.S. Sen. Patrick Leahy and Gov. Peter Shumlin at the announcement Friday. Leahy's office says the project will be carried out by the Vermont Energy Investment Corporation, which will provide long-term, low-interest loans to individuals, small businesses and town governments to support energy improvement projects, such as weatherization improvements, high efficiency lighting or conversion to renewable sources like consumer-scale solar power.

USDA awards $46M to help Vermonters cut energy bills (WPTZ 1/8)[VIDEO]

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has awarded Vermont millions of dollars in loan funding to help homeowners, farmers, and businesses reduce their energy bills. Secretary Tom Vilsack said USDA hopes its first-ever statewide award will help propel Vermont toward its goal of securing 90 percent of its energy from renewable sources by 2050.

Vermont receives new loan to boost energy efficiency efforts (WCAX News 1/8)

Making Vermont homes and businesses more energy efficient is about to get a little easier. It's thanks to a new $46 million federal loan from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. "We said we want to lead because Vermont gets that the clock is ticking, we're running out of time," said Gov. Peter Shumlin, D-Vermont.

Feds commit $46 million for energy efficiency in VT (Burlington Free Press 1/8)

Tom Vilsack, secretary of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, came to Vermont to announce a $46 million program funded by his agency to support energy efficiency investments in the state. Vilsack was flanked on Friday by Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., Gov. Peter Shumlin and Scott Johnstone, executive director of the Vermont Energy Investment Corp., to make the announcement at VEIC. The corporation will administer the loans given to individual homeowners, small businesses and town governments for a broad range of projects.

USDA loan program unveiled (Barre Montpelier Times Argus 1/9)

U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Vermont officials Friday announced a $46 million loan guarantee program that will help residents and small businesses improve energy efficiency. The project will be carried out by the Vermont Energy Investment Corporation, which will provide long-term, low-interest loans to individuals, small businesses and local governments to support projects such as weatherization improvements, high efficiency lighting or conversion to renewable sources like solar power.

USDA APPROVES $46 MILLION IN LOANS FOR ENERGY EFFICIENCY (VTDigger 1/8)

The USDA has approved funding for $46 million in loans for energy efficiency projects in Vermont. The Vermont Energy Investment Corporation will administer the low cost, flexible term financing to Vermont businesses and homeowners. Tom Vilsack, the secretary of the Department of Agriculture, made the announcement on Friday in Burlington.

Vermont gets $46 million USDA guaranteed loan for new energy efficiency program (Vermont Business Magazine 1/8)

A new federal financing program will provide loans to Vermont individuals, small businesses and town governments to support a broad range of energy improvement projects.

Federal, State Officials Announce $46 Million in Loans to Improve Energy Efficiency (New England Cable News 1/8)

U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Vermont officials have announced a $46-million loan program that will be used to help Vermonters and small businesses improve energy efficiency.

Listen Header

Obama Talks Trade In State Of Union Address

Broadcast Date: Wed, January 13, 2016

In his State of the Union address the President talked about some pending issues that could affect U.S. farmers and the food and agriculture sector. (Gary Crawford and President Barack Obama)

Farm Credit System Celebrates A Century Of Service

Broadcast Date: Thurs, January 14, 2016

The nation's farm credit system was created 100 years ago and continues its support of rural America. (Rod Bain and Megan Fairchild Anderson of AgriBank)

Actuality: The Farm Credit System Cooperative Model

Broadcast Date: Thurs, January 14, 2016

Megan Fairchild Anderson of AgriBank explains the structure of the nation's farm credit system, and how its serves customers on the local level.

Share Header

NEWS: Sec Vilsack will lead new effort to address rural America’s struggle w heroin & opioid abuse http://wapo.st/1RS9KHL  @washingtonpost

The @Cabinet gathers before #SOTU each year to share a meal & hopes for the year. Sec Vilsack on the tradition:

Today, @FLOTUS's youngest #SOTU guest visited w SecVilsack. Meet 12-yr-old Braeden Mannering http://ow.ly/WYlE3

We're growing opportunities in high poverty rural areas with a $23.5B investment & 4 new StrikeForce states → http://1.usa.gov/1UUC5MW  #SOTU

Today in Ohio: Secretary Vilsack will host #SOTU event to announce USDA's latest efforts to expand rural opportunity

On Medium: Celebrating 7 years of historic #USDAresults starting with the American farmer → http://medium.com/usda-results

Rural America’s potential is limitless. How USDA investments have yielded #USDAResults http://medium.com/usda-results  #SOTU

Meet the climate hubs working to help farmers adapt to a changing climate http://climatehubs.oce.usda.gov/  #SOTU #USDAResults

Farmers & ranchers continue to lead the charge toward a more sustainable energy future http://1.usa.gov/1SNALgh  #SOTU

Subscribe

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]