USDA In Case You Missed It - Global Partnerships Secure Our Future

Title: USDA In Case You Missed It - Global Partnerships Secure Our Future

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Subscribe
Office of Communications Header

In Case You Missed It Header

U.S. Marine Corps veteran Calvin Riggleman stands in front of a barn side U.S. flag on Bigg Riggs farm in Hampshire County, WV.

Thanksgiving Edition

“Every year at this time, I am reminded how blessed we are to have a strong, vibrant rural America that provides so much for each of us, every day. Despite this, too many Americans still struggle to put healthy food on their plates. During this Thanksgiving holiday, I also give thanks that so many USDA employees give time, food and other resources to fight against hunger in their communities.”

--Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack

The Week in Pictures

The majestic Rio Grande wild turkey
turkey day sight if there ever was one.

Turkey sandwich
Leftover turkey can be eaten cold or hot. If you are reheating leftovers, reheat them to 165 °F as measured with a food thermometer.

An infographic exploring the traditional Thanksgiving meal, brought to you by the American Farmer.

An infographic exploring the traditional Thanksgiving meal, brought to you by the American Farmer.

The 2015 Capitol Christmas Tree arrived at the Capital building

The 2015 Capitol Christmas Tree arrived at the Capital building on Friday, Nov. 20, 2015. The Lutz spruce travelled 4,000 miles from its native Chugach National Forest in Alaska.

ICYMI on the USDA Blog

How to be a Savvy Shopper with Savory Leftovers

Thanksgiving is finally over, and now comes the biggest weekend for holiday shopping.  According to the National Retail Foundation, the average shopper spends about $380 from Black Friday to Cyber Monday.

Cook Your Turkey like a P.R.O.

The countdown is over, and the big day is finally here.  It’s Thanksgiving Day, and the family is on the way, most likely with growling tummies.  You may have been preparing all month, but if not, no worries!  We’ve got you covered on how to safely handle and prepare your turkey.  Now that’s you’re ready, let’s get cooking!

Strength in Our Numbers—Even Small Ones Thanking Farmers, Ranchers, and Veterans

There’s always something to give thanks for at harvest time, but our gratitude shouldn’t be limited to this page of the calendar. Farmers, ranchers, and veterans come to mind as leaves become memories and daylight diminishes. This small portion of our population ensures that what we sometimes take for granted as plans for the holiday season unfold, is also available for all year round.

Natural Supplements for Healthier Turkeys

Let’s talk turkey. You’re going to hear a lot about food safety as the Thanksgiving holiday approaches, but what you often don’t hear about is how U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) scientists are working to make turkey, chicken and other poultry products safer to eat long before they reach your table.

Baby, it’s cold outside. Time to stock up on firewood.

It’s fall in North America.  It’s the time of year that marks the transition from summer into winter.  It’s when the nighttime comes earlier and the weather cools considerably.  It’s also the time of year when most of us start to turn on our heat or start to acquire firewood.

‘Tis the Season to Talk Turkey

The Thanksgiving season is upon us, time for family homecomings, parades, and football games. More importantly, time for the annual turkey feast. As the marketing season hits full stride, the question on everyone’s lips this year is…will there be a shortage of turkeys? The simple answer is: no.

USDA TV Header

USDA Week In Review Video, November 27

Week in Review

In this edition of USDA Week In Review: A Christmas present from the far north and plants to brighten the holidays.

Read About Us in the News

Editorial: Waste not, want not this Thanksgiving (Des Moines Register)

Before we rush to the supermarket and give thanks for the bounty, let’s vow to waste less of what we put in our shopping carts and on our plates. Food waste is a global problem. It occurs all along the food chain. But each of us can do our part, and solving it can help alleviate other problems such as hunger and environmental destruction.

Editorial Board: Why turkeys are safer this year (Sacramento Bee)

We don’t often write about government doing its work as it should. And yet, in the area of food safety, an unhappy and sometimes deadly event has become rarer, and that is worthy of note in this season of holiday feasts.

Thanksgiving Day turkey, cooked to perfection, or is it? (Examiner)

It’s almost Thanksgiving Day, the most food-celebrated holiday across the nation. We celebrate this gratuitous day by eating, with the centerpiece for our meal being that of the turkey.

Be thankful for apps to reduce food waste (The Gazette)

Thanksgiving is the day to make all your food fantasies come true.

But later, when you’re stuffed with stuffing, tired of turkey and packed with pie, you may have the thought: “What should we do with all these leftovers?”

Lewis Diuguid: Help with food in Thanksgiving is just an app or hotline call away (Kansas City Star)

At some point in life, nearly everyone attempts his or her first turkey and Thanksgiving Day meal. Because of that — and the potential to botch it royally, the U.S. Department of Agriculture wants novices and even some pros to know there is help out there, and it’s just a smartphone app away.

Food safety hotline answers your questions about turkey (Hometown Life)

Stuffing in the bird or stuffing out? Roaster or oven? Freeze leftovers in two days or keep them longer? If you’ve got questions about preparing and serving turkey this Thanksgiving, the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service has answers that can guide you safely from thawing to preparation, serving to leftovers.

USDA has resources for Thanksgiving meals, including an app (Edmonds Beacon)

Thanksgiving is the largest meal many cooks prepare every year. Its centerpiece – the turkey – is the largest dish most cooks ever encounter, and many are not experienced at roasting one. The U.S. Department of Agriculture says that a range of resources, from smartphone apps to its 30-year meat and poultry hotline, can help consumers through any food preparation issues this holiday season.

Listen Header

Real Thanksgiving Turkey Cooking Advice from Real People on Thanksgiving

Broadcast Date: Tue, November 24, 2015

If you need some last minute meat and poultry cooking and safety information on Thanksgiving Day, don't worry. The experts will be a phone call away. (Gary Crawford and Tina Hanes)

Is That Turkey That's Been in Our Freezer for Years Safe to Eat?

Broadcast Date: Tue, November 24, 2015

You've just been rummaging around your freezer and you find a turkey that's been in there for years. Is it safe to cook and serve it for this Thanksgiving? (Gary Crawford and Tina Hanes)

Forget To Thaw the Turkey in Time? Don't Panic.

Broadcast Date: Tue, November 24, 2015

If your holiday guests are only hours away and you've forgotten to thaw that turkey, what can you do, short of sneaking out of town? (Gary Crawford and Tina Hanes)

A Turkey Cooking "Don't"--Rinsing the Bird in the Sink Before Cooking

Broadcast Date: Mon, November 23, 2015

Do you put that turkey in the sink and give it a rinse before popping it in the oven? Experts say that's not such a hot idea. (Gary Crawford and Tina Hanes)

Share Header

To turkey producers who made this Thanksgiving meal possible despite the largest animal disease outbreak in our history, we thank you. -TJV
INFOGRAPHIC: U.S. farmers expected to raise 228M turkeys this year. #agstats #agchat #Thanksgiving

Not sure how long your #Thanksgiving #leftovers are safe in the refrigerator? Check out this chart!

At NRCS, we're thankful this season for healthy soil http://bit.ly/1TeSdbY

INFOGRAPHIC: Happy #Thanksgiving: brought to you by the American farmer http://ow.ly/V4tza  #TurkeyDay

INFOGRAPHIC: Happy #Thanksgiving: brought to you by the American farmer http://ow.ly/V4tza  #TurkeyDay

Have leftovers? Try this Turkey Tetrazzini #recipe from #WhatsCooking: http://1.usa.gov/1NX25I1

Subscribe

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]