USDA In Case You Missed It - Global Partnerships Secure Our Future

Title: USDA In Case You Missed It - Global Partnerships Secure Our Future

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Subscribe
Office of Communications Header

In Case You Missed It Header

Water from the Sacramento River, is critical to the sustainability of California agriculture.

As part of our ongoing efforts to provide better results for the farmers, ranchers, small businesses and families that we’ve pledged to serve, USDA is continuously adapting our approach to how we do business.

But we know we can’t do it alone. USDA’s partnerships, both local and around the world, help us to expand opportunities here at home. They help us leverage resources to impact more people and businesses across the country and work with us to create responsive and informed solutions to the challenges we face. In short: our partners are the key to ensuring our rural communities thrive.

Since the start of the Mississippi River Basin Initiative in 2009, USDA's Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) has worked with more than 600 partners and 5,000 farmers to make conservation improvements on more than 1 million acres in the region. Last week, NRCS announced an investment of $30 million this year in 33 new projects and 40 existing projects targeting small priority watersheds within Mississippi River Basin. These projects work in concert to reduce overall loss of nutrients and sediment to waters that eventually flow into the Gulf of Mexico. Read more about the program or find a project in your home state.

Last week also brought us the release of the Trans-Pacific Partnership text. The complete text of the agreement confirms that it eliminates barriers that have held American agricultural goods at a disadvantage, which, in turn, gives American farmers and ranchers more opportunities to export rural made products overseas. That translates to more options for expansion and diversification of agricultural operations, and supports higher-paying jobs in rural America. To review the text of the Trans-Pacific Partnership and other TPP-related materials, visit www.usda.gov/trade.

Stay tuned this month as we highlight our work with partners to strengthen rural communities and improve the quality of life for all Americans.

The Week in Pictures

Bison on the Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie

A partnership with the National Forest Foundation and other partners has brought bison back to the Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie.

David Marshall, research leader of the USDA-ARS Plant Science Research Unit

Plant diseases can easily cross international borders and damage crops in neighboring countries. The good news is that in Pakistan, scientists with USDA’s Agricultural Research Service are working toward a solution.

Camilla Borgato crouching on the grass near a lake

The University of Georgia and Italy’s Università degli Studi di Padova will soon sign a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to offer a dual graduate degree program in sustainable agriculture.  The MOU is the maturation of initiatives funded by the National Institute of Food and Agriculture.

We released a new web tool targeted to new and beginning farmers! Discover it here: www.usda.gov/newfarmers

We released a new web tool targeted to new and beginning farmers! Discover it here: www.usda.gov/newfarmers

ICYMI on the USDA Blog

Creating Opportunities for Georgia’s Produce Industry

A solid vision combined with an innovative approach to reach new markets can yield success in the ag industry.

USDA Northern Plains Regional Climate Hub – Champions of Change

The Northern Plains has an extensive precipitation and temperature gradient moving from east to west, which provides a diverse array of environmental conditions for agriculture throughout the region.

Southeast Regional Climate Hub Celebrates Agriculture Champions of Change

566 federally-recognized Native nations participated in the White House Tribal Nations Conference.

USDA Foods Help Nourish a Culture

Traditional foods are of significant value to Native American and Alaskan Natives today.  The same foods that have been used to feed our ancestors not only feed our bodies, but they feed our spirit.

UGA, Italy Develop Dual Graduate Degree Program

The world will have many more mouths to feed in the next few decades – projected to be more than 9 billion by 2050.

Puerto Rico Works with USDA to Strengthen Local Food Systems

The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico is only 100 miles long by 35 miles wide. The small island is full of natural wonders, rich culture and bountiful agriculture.

Puerto Rico Colabora con USDA para Fortalecer los Sistemas de Alimentos Locales

El estado libre asociado de Puerto Rico tiene solamente 100 millas de largo por 35 millas de ancho. La pequeña isla está llena de maravillas naturales, rica en cultura y abundante en agricultura.

Helping Farmers in Pakistan and the U.S.

Plant diseases can easily cross international borders and damage crops in neighboring countries. The good news is that in Pakistan, scientists with USDA’s Agricultural Research Service (ARS) are working toward a solution.

Gardens Bring Learning to Life in North Dakota Tribal Community

What we teach our children about food can shape how they eat, learn, grow and live.

Farmers Find Conservation Good for Dobbins Creek and Soil Health

Last spring, USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) in Minnesota named five watersheds eligible for funding through the Mississippi River Basin Healthy Watersheds Initiative (MRBI). Dobbins Creek, located in Mower County, was one of the selected watersheds.

The Northeast Regional Climate Hub Applauds its Champions of Change

USDA’s Northeast Regional Climate Hub works to bring land managers in the Northeast the science and other tools that can help them adapt to changing weather/climate conditions.

Champions of Change: Midwest Climate Hub Applauds Three Regional Leaders

USDA’s Midwest Regional Climate Hub works to bring land managers in the Midwest the science and other tools that can help them adapt to changing weather/climate conditions.

Bison are back and here to stay at the Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie

It was like stepping back through time on the Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie.

USDA TV Header

USDA Week In Review

Week in Review

El Nino brings the rain, the Abraham Lincoln Honor Awards, and the co-op benefit.

Read About Us in the News

Vilsack: TPP deal is a good deal for rural America (Richmond Times-Dispatch)

Picture this: nearly 500 million people — more than four times the number of people who watched the Super Bowl last year. That’s the equivalent of every man, woman and child living in the 11 other countries that make up the Trans-Pacific Partnership, and they’re all hungry for the American brand of agriculture.

USDA Provides $100M for 5,000 New Ethanol Pumps in 21 States (Associated Press)

The U.S. Department of Agriculture says it is spending $100 million to help install nearly 5,000 additional ethanol fuel pumps in 21 states.

Florida to receive $15.9 million in federal funds for biofuel pumps (Palm Beach Post)

Florida is slated to receive $15.9 million in federal grants to provide 893 fuel pumps at 130 stations to supply renewable fuels such as E85 to motorists, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said Wednesday.

USDA Making $210 Million Investment in Renewable Energy Infrastructure (Southeast Ag Net)

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack was in Florida today to announce that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is partnering with 21 states through the Biofuel Infrastructure Partnership (BIP) to nearly double the number of fueling pumps nationwide that supply renewable fuels to American motorists.

USDA awards $3.6 million to set up SNAP job training hub (Agri-Pulse)

USDA has awarded a $3.6 million grant to the Seattle Jobs Initiative (SGI) to set up a so-called Center of Excellence designed to develop and disseminate best practices to help state job training centers find work for participants in the Supplemental Nutrition and Assistance Program (SNAP).

5 things to love about USDA’s New Farmers website: (National Young Farmers Coalition)

Yesterday, USDA announced that they are doubling down on their commitment to new farmers. The Department is aiming to boost beginning farmer participation in their programs and services by focusing $5.6 billion of existing funding on these farmers over the next two years.

USDA funding plan, web tool aimed at helping beginning farmers (Agri-Pulse)

The Department of Agriculture on Thursday announced plans to prioritize $5.6 billion in funding over the next two years to help beginning farmers and ranchers get started.

USDA designs new web tool for beginning farmers and ranchers (Farm Futures)

The average age of the American farmer now exceeds 58 years, and data shows that almost 10% of farmland in the continental United States will change hands in the next five years.

USDA looking for new farmers (Arkansas Online)

The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Thursday announced plans to direct $5.6 billion over the next two years toward programs that serve new farmers and ranchers.

USDA Commits $5.6 Billion to New Farmers (Agriculture.com)

Today, in front of over 60,000 attendees at the National FFA Convention, the USDA announced its commitment to put $5.6 billion toward helping new and beginning farmers and ranchers.

USDA Offering More Funding to Beginning Farmer Programs (USAg Net)

USDA will invest $5.6 billion in programs and services over the next two years to serve new and beginning farmers and ranchers, according to Agriculture Deputy Secretary Krysta Harden.

USDA Spending Millions on Rural Homes (CBS2)

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced Wednesday that USDA is investing $3.7 million to help rural families repair and rehabilitate their homes.

Beginning farmer interactive site unveiled (Brownfield Ag News)

Beginning farmers now have a new online tool – an interactive website – for choosing USDA programs to help them get started.

USDA deputy ag secretary tells UKAg students they are the future of agriculture (UK Ag News)

U.S. Deputy Secretary of Agriculture Krysta Harden told University of Kentucky College of Agriculture, Food and Environment students they are the next generation of agricultural decision-makers and problem solvers.

White House honors agriculture ‘Champions of Change’ (Agri-Pulse)

The White House honored 12 “Champions of Change” in sustainable agriculture Monday for using and promoting management practices that reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve environmental conditions and grow local economies. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack delivered the keynote address at the White House awards ceremony, saying he hopes the awardees - all “Champions of Change for Sustainable and Climate-Smart Agriculture” - would “help unify people over food and agriculture.”

Campus dining has learned to waste not (News-Gazette)

When the U.S. secretary of agriculture visited campus last month, he challenged students at the University of Illinois to do their part to help prevent food waste.

Listen Header

TPP SEEN AS GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR AGRICULTURE

Broadcast Date: Wed, November 4, 2015

The nation's top agriculture official says the Trans-Pacific Partnership is a great opportunity for U.S. agriculture. (Gary Crawford and Sec'y Tom Vilsack)

MISSISSIPPI RIVER BASIN WATERSHED INITIATIVE ANNOUNCEMENT

Broadcast Date: Tue, November 3, 2015

Support for new and existing efforts to improve water quality in the Mississippi River Basin is now available for FY 2016. (Rod Bain and Natural Resources Conservation Service Chief Jason Weller)

LAND GRANTS REPRESENTED ON THE FIELD IN WORLD SERIES

Broadcast Date: Mon, November 2, 2015

Some of the people responsible for the fields of this year's World Series teams received their training via land grant university programs. (Rod Bain and Andrew McNitt of Penn State University)

ACTUALITY: LAND GRANT CONNECTION WITH PRO SPORTS TURF MANAGERS

Broadcast Date: Mon, November 2, 2015

Andrew McNitt of Penn State University shares how land grant university programs in turf management have produced a number of groundskeepers and managers for the fields of professional sports teams.

Share Header
Puerto Rico works with USDA to strengthen local food systems http://ow.ly/UcVsY

Read TPP text to see how it helps farmers & ranchers sell #ruralmade American products around the world → http://go.wh.gov/TPPText

Champions of Change: Midwest Climate Hub applauds three regional leaders http://ow.ly/U9eb4  #WHChamps

Gardens bring learning to life in North Dakota tribal community http://ow.ly/UcFFH

Subscribe

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]