New USDA TV Feature May 25, 2011: Mobile Food Safety For Smartphones

Title: New USDA TV Feature May 25, 2011: Mobile Food Safety For Smartphones

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

USDA Introduces Mobile Food Safety For Smartphones

Food safety answers are as close as your Smartphone now thanks to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service

YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeYLkCI9e08

WMV:   mms://ocbmtcwmp.usda.gov/content/bmtc/vnr/askkaren.wmv

 A new TV feature is available on the USDA FTP site

Filename: food safety camp

 Download instructions:

 The host: ftp://ocbmtcmedia.download.akamai.com

  User name: usdanews

Password:  Newscontent1

The new file is in QuickTime Movie (H.264 ), MPEG 4, MPEG2 and HDV.

Please email bob.ellison@xxxxxxxx if you have problems or suggestions.

Also, use this free ftp client if you have problems.

http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type+client

FEATURE – USDA Introduces Mobile Food Safety For Smartphones

INTRO:  Food safety answers are as close as your Smartphone now thanks to the U-S Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service. The USDA’s Bob Ellison has more. (1:37)

THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE’S FOOD SAFETY AND INSPECTION SERVICE, OR F-S-I-S, HAS LAUNCHED A MOBILE VERSION OF ITS FOOD SAFETY WEBSITE FEATURE.

Dr. Elisabeth Hagen, USDA Under Secretary for Food Safety: Ask Karen has been a feature we’ve had on our website for years now and we’re now launching a mobile version of Ask Karen. People rely more and more on their mobile devices to get quick information and now they can have Karen on their phone twenty four hours a day. And, you know, we hope that folks will use her as a tool to help answer some really important food safety questions.

You’re making burgers on the grill and you want to know how can I be sure that they’re done and what’s the right temperature and how do I measure that, so you can go ask Ask Karen, what’s the safe cooking temperature for ground beef and she’ll tell you it’s one hundred sixty degrees.

MOBILE ASK KAREN WAS INTRODUCED AT AN F-S-I-S FOOD SAFETY CAMP AT A SCHOOL JUST OUTSIDE OF WASHINGTON D-C.

Karen Soneira, Principal, Maryland City Elementary School: The use of technology is the access to a child’s mind. Children play with their parents’ phone they use technology at home. Many of our students have their own cell phones.

THE CAMP ALSO TAUGHT LESSONS ABOUT FOOD SAFETY AND HEALTHY EATING.

Hagen: I’m looking forward to seeing all of you going through the stations and learning about clean, separate, cook and then chill.

Mariann Ige, First Grader, Maryland City Elementary School: Because if we don’t clean the food then bacteria will come on to the food.

David Chaney, First Grader Maryland City Elementary School: Healthy foods are yummy, and they make you strong and big and that we should clean the fruits vegetables before we eat them.

TO START USING MOBILE ASK KAREN NOW, GO TO M DOT ASK KAREN DOT GOV. IN LAUREL, MARYLAND FOR THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE I’M BOB ELLISON.

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]