CORRECTION: New USDA TV Feature February 15, 2011: USDA Encourages Healthier Eating

Contact: Bob Ellison
USDA Office of Communications
(202) 720-5952
Corrects file name.

FEATURE – USDA Encourages Healthier Eating

USDA is promoting healthier eating as way to get to get Americans to slim down and fight disease

A new feature is available on the USDA FTP site

Filename: dietary guidelines (modified Feb. 15)

YouTube:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wc_LyqDAcs
Download instructions:
The host: ftp://ocbmtcmedia.download.akamai.com.

User name: usdanews
Password:  Newscontent1

The new file is in QuickTime Movie(H.264 ), MPEG 4, and MPEG 2.

Please email bob.ellison@xxxxxxxx if you have problems or suggestions.
Also, use this free ftp client if you have problems.
http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type+client

FEATURE – USDA ENCOURAGES HEALTHIER EATING

INTRO:  USDA is promoting healthier eating as way to get to get Americans to slim down and fight disease.  The USDA’s Bob Ellison has more. (1:31)

ONE-THIRD OF CHILDREN AND TWO-THIRDS OF ADULTS ARE OVERWEIGHT OR OBESE IN THE UNITED STATES. THE NEW TWENTY-TEN DIETARY GUIDELINES FROM THE AGRICULTURE DEPARTMENT AND THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES POINT OUT HOW BETTER DIETS CAN REDUCE WAISTLINES AND CHRONIC DISEASE RISK. AGRICULTURE SECRETARY TOM VILSACK SAID AT THE UNVEILING OF THE GUIDELINES THAT AMERICANS NEED TO BALANCE GOOD EATING HABITS.

Tom Vilsack, Agriculture Secretary: Not every calorie is the same and these dietary guidelines graphically point this out. We want to place a greater emphasis on meal patterns that focus on fruits and vegetables and whole grains and low fat dairy and lean proteins including fish and seafood. We want to move away from sugar and sodium and saturated fat.

Dr. Howard Koh, Department of Health and Human Services: A major recommendation from this report is that virtually all Americans could benefit from a reduction in their sodium intake.

AND THE GUIDELINES ALSO CALL FOR CUTTING CHOLESTEROL INTAKE.

Koh: Currently men are getting over the three hundred milligram a day target whereas women are getting somewhat less so we’re hoping that that’s a reachable target for the future.

VILSACK SAYS EATING HEALTHY DOESN’T NEED TO BE EXPENSIVE.

Vilsack: One of the things that we are trying to do is to provide people with information at least on the USDA website about recipes and ways in which you can stretch your food dollar and still purchase foods that are good for you.

THE TWENTY TEN EDITION OF THE DIETARY GUIDELINES IS AVAILABLE AT DIETARY GUIDELINES DOT GOV. IN WASHINGTON, FOR THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, I’M BOB ELLISON.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]