New USDA TV Feature Dec. 21, 2010: 2010 Capitol Christmas Tree Lighting

Contact: Bob Ellison
USDA Office of Communications
(202) 720-5952

FEATURE – 2010 CAPITOL CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTING

The 2010 Capitol Christmas Tree made the long trek from Wyoming to
Washington, D.C.

A new feature is available on the USDA FTP site
Filename: Cap Xmas Tree Feature
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeegaxV1CHI

Download instructions:
The host: ftp://ocbmtcmedia.download.akamai.com.

User name: usdanews
Password:  Newscontent1

The new file is in QuickTime Movie(H.264 ), MPEG 4, MPEG 2, and HDV.

Please email bob.ellison@xxxxxxxx if you have problems or suggestions.
Also, use this free ftp client if you have problems.
http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type+client

FEATURE – 2010 CAPITOL CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTING

INTRO:  The 2010 Capitol Christmas Tree made the long trek from Wyoming to Washington, D.C. The USDA’s Bob Ellison has more.  (1:33)

(Tree lighting with music)

AND SO OFFICIALLY ENDED THE JOURNEY OF THE SIXTY SEVEN FOOT ENGELMANN SPRUCE FROM THE BRIDGER TETON NATIONAL FOREST IN WYOMING. THE TREE ARRIVED IN WASHINGTON D-C IN LATE NOVEMBER TO BE GREETED BY WYOMING’S SENATORS AND THE ARCHITECT OF THE CAPITOL.

Stephen Ayers, Architect of the Capitol and Sen. John Barrasso, R-Wyoming: ( (Ayers) It’s an honor and privilege for me to accept this wonderful Engelmann Spruce from the great state of Wyoming. Thank you.

(Barrasso) It’s a privilege to be able to present this tree on behalf of the people of Wyoming to the United States Capitol as our gift to the nation and a celebration of Christmas.

THE TREE’S JOURNEY WAS CAREFUL AND COORDINATED TO MAKE SURE IT ARRIVED ON CAPITOL HILL IN GOOD SHAPE.

Mary Cernicek, Capitol Christmas Tree Coordinator: We treated it well. We added a root hormone to help it kind of induce a dormant state and we sprayed it with an anti-desiccant that helps it retain its needles. So we took a lot of precautions to make sure that this tree is just as beautiful as it was when it was in the wild.

THE TREE LIGHTING CEREMONY COMMEMORATED ALL INVOLVED WITH GETTING IT TO THE CAPITOL.

USDA Dep. Under Sec. Jay Jensen: Our job at USDA and the Forest Service is to sustain those national forests for the benefit of current generations and generations to come so that many may enjoy these Christmases and trees like this.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-CA: To the people of Wyoming, thank you for this gift to the nation. The Capitol Christmas tree.

THE U-S-D-A FOREST SERVICE HAS PROVIDED THE CHRISTMAS TREE SINCE NINETEEN SIXTY NINE. IN WASHINGTON D-C FOR THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, I’M BOB ELLISON.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]