New USDA TV Feature Nov. 9, 2010: USDA Employees Help Fight Childhood Obesity

Contact: Bob Ellison
USDA Office of Communications
(202) 720-5952

USDA EMPLOYEES HELP FIGHT CHILDHOOD OBESITY

In the ongoing fight against childhood obesity, First Lady Michelle Obama hopes the Let’s Move campaign will help children be more physically fit and conscious of the food they eat.
 YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9UR_o6VZF8

A new feature is available on the USDA FTP site
Filename: horton's kids feature
Download instructions:
The host:  ftp://ocbmtcmedia.download.akamai.com.
User name: usdanews
Password:  Newscontent1

The new file is in QuickTime Movie(H.264 ), MPEG 4, MPEG 2, HDV, and low res.

Please email bob.ellison@xxxxxxxx if you have problems or suggestions.
Also, use this free ftp client if you have problems.
http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type+client

FEATURE—USDA EMPLOYEES HELP FIGHT CHILDHOOD OBESITY

Intro: In the ongoing fight against childhood obesity, First Lady Michelle Obama hopes the Let’s Move campaign will help children be more physically fit and conscious of the food they eat. The USDA’s Bob Ellison has more. (1:22)

RECENTLY, EMPLOYEES FROM VARIOUS FEDERAL AGENCIES, INCLUDING THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, TEAMED UP WITH THE NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION, HORTON’S KIDS, FOR A DAY OF FUN AND GAMES WITH CHILDREN OF VARIOUS AGES AT A PARK NEAR WASHINGTON, D-C.

LORA KATZ, USDA APHIS: To think that me and my team is part of this leadership program and we could participate in the initiative. It was a real motivator for us.

THE TEAM EXPLAINS WHY IT WAS SO IMPORTANT TO VOLUNTEER.

RUSSELL MARTIN, Federal Aviation Administration: Too many kids are just sitting on the couch, watching TV, playing video games. It’s good just to get kids out and get them moving and try to encourage them to think about a more active lifestyle.

HORTON’S KIDS SEEKS TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF CHILDREN’S DAILY LIVES THROUGH HEALTH AWARENESS AND ENRICHMENT PROGRAMS. THE CHILDREN FROM WASHINGTON D-C AT THIS EVENT UNDERSTOOD THE GOALS OF HORTON’S KIDS AND LET’S MOVE.

JERROD THOMPSON, Student: It’s a fun place. Where you can learn. You can play. You can be active.

WITH CHILDHOOD OBESITY RATES MORE THAN TRIPLING IN THE PAST THIRTY YEARS, EDUCATION IS KEY.

KATZ:  I think about childhood obesity and the health of this current generation. It’s kind of shocking.

MARTIN: Childhood obesity is becoming like epidemic proportions in our country. And of course, there’s two parts to that. There’s the poor nutrition part and then there is the lack of activity.

IN WASHINGTON D-C FOR THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, I’M BOB ELLISON.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]