New USDA TV Feature Oct. 12, 2010 Good Harvesting Weather Continues

Contact:Bob Ellison
USDA Office of Communications
(202) 720-5952

GOOD HARVESTING WEATHER CONTINUES

A USDA meteorologist says good harvesting weather should continue well into autumn.

 YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAL56bkxAS8
A new feature is available on the USDA FTP site
Filename: fall weather
Download instructions:
The host:  ftp://ocbmtcmedia.download.akamai.com.
User name: usdanews
Password:  Newscontent1

The new file is in QuickTime Movie(H.264 ), MPEG 4, MPEG 2, HDV, and low res.

Please email bob.ellison@xxxxxxxx if you have problems or suggestions.
Also, use this free ftp client if you have problems.
http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type+client

FEATURE – GOOD HARVESTING WEATHER CONTINUES

INTRO:  A U-S-D-A meteorologist says good harvesting weather should continue well into autumn. The USDA’s Bob Ellison has more.  (1:21)

HARVESTING CONDITIONS LOOK PRETTY GOOD ACROSS THE COUNTRY WHILE DROUGHT AND TROPICAL STORMS PRESENT PROBLEMS AND MAYBE SOLUTIONS. U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE METEOROLOGIST BRAD RIPPEY SAYS GOOD GROWING WEATHER HAS EVOLVED INTO GOOD HARVESTING CONDITIONS.

Brad Rippey, USDA Agricultural Meteorologist: Not only are we seeing crops maturing quickly this year, but it should be a fairly quick harvest with generally favorable conditions expected to last on through October and into November.

BUT WHILE DRY WEATHER IS GOOD FOR HARVESTING, IT’S A PROBLEM FOR AREAS AFFECTED BY DROUGHT.

Rippey, USDA Agricultural Meteorologist: One area of concern is from the lower Mississippi Valley into the Mid Atlantic and the southeastern states. We have pockets of fairly significant drought and that’s one area to watch.

RIPPEY SAYS A STILL ACTIVE HURRICANE SEASON COULD HELP ALLEVIATE DROUGHT CONDITIONS.

Rippey: Of course, we don’t want to see a major hurricane strike the United States but sometimes a tropical storm can go a long way in replenishing soil moisture.

BEYOND AUTUMN, RIPPEY SAYS WINTER WILL BE MILD IS SOME PLACES AND HARSH IN OTHERS.

Rippey: It looks like it actually is going to be a warm, dry winter again stretching from southern California into the southeast. But it could be a very, very difficult winter across places like the Dakotas, Montana and also a very cold snowy winter for the northwest.

IN WASHINGTON D-C FOR THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, I’M BOB ELLISON.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]