USDA TV Feature August 17, 2010

Contact:Bob Ellison
USDA Office of Communications
(202) 720-4623

USDA Encourages Americans To Know Their Farmers

A USDA effort seeks to create economic opportunities in rural America by promoting local and regional food systems

 YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flg09hAFjLY
A new feature is available on the USDA FTP site
Filename: farmer food
Download instructions:
The host:  ftp://ocbmtcmedia.download.akamai.com.
User name: usdanews
Password:  Newscontent1

The new file is in QuickTime Movie(H.264 fullscreen, crop and letterbox), MPEG 4(fullscreen, crop and letterbox), MPEG 4 (low res) and HDV format.

Please email bob.ellison@xxxxxxxx if you have problems or suggestions.
Also, use this free ftp client if you have problems.
http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type+client

FEATURE – USDA ENCOURAGES AMERICANS TO KNOW THEIR FARMERS

INTRO: A USDA effort seeks to create economic opportunities in rural America by promoting local and regional food systems. The USDA’s Bob Ellison has more. (1:38)

U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE OFFICIALS WANT AMERICANS TO UNDERSTAND WHERE THEIR FOOD COMES FROM. THAT’S THE POINT OF U-S-D-A’S KNOW YOUR FARMER, KNOW YOUR FOOD EFFORT.

 Kathleen Merrigan, USDA Under Secretary: Very few people now are connected directly to a farm. My grandparents. Farmers. My children are not connected to my grandparents. They’ve lost that string. And so few people understand how food and fiber is produced in this country and we want to make that reconnection.

THE KNOW YOUR FARMER, KNOW YOUR FOOD EFFORT ALSO SEEKS TO HELP FARMERS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF LOCAL SUPPLY CHAINS SO THAT THEY CAN SELL THEIR PRODUCTS IN GROWING LOCAL AND REGIONAL MARKETS.

Merrigan: We see it as an economic opportunity for farmers and ranchers in rural communities. We know that the people of rural America are struggling. If we can find ways to build domestic markets in key areas of this country we want to be there to help.

FARMERS IN THE WASHINGTON D-C AREA SEE ADVANTAGES IN THE INCREASING MARKET FOR LOCALLY GROWN FOOD.

Tracy DeBernard, Farmer, Stafford, VA: There’re several advantages. The main one being price. We get more money when we retail our product. Second is getting reaction from people. Them telling you how much they love it and you being here. This market’s great for that. People love to get their fresh fruits and vegetables.

AND WHILE U-S-D-A IS NOT ENCOURAGING PEOPLE TO GIVE UP ON GROCERY STORES, MERRIGAN SAYS AMERICANS SHOULD UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF FARMERS.

Merrigan: So we’re not saying completely go local-vore, but we’re saying find out who your farmer is, know your farmer. And maybe you can’t directly know him, but figure out where your food comes from.

IN WASHINGTON, D-C FOR THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, I’M BOB ELLISON.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]