USDA TV Feature August 13, 2010

Contact:Bob Ellison
USDA Office of Communications
(202) 720-4623

USDA At 100th Anniversary Boy Scout Jamboree

The U.S. Department of Agriculture went to the 100th Anniversary Boy Scout Jamboree to teach about the environment and conservation.

 YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiqZMDU4sR8
New actualities are available on the USDA FTP site
Filename: boyscout jamboree
Download instructions:
The host:  ftp://ocbmtcmedia.download.akamai.com.
User name: usdanews
Password:  Newscontent1

The new file is in QuickTime Movie(H.264 fullscreen, crop and letterbox), MPEG 4(fullscreen, crop and letterbox), MPEG 4 (low res) and HDV format.

Please email bob.ellison@xxxxxxxx if you have problems or suggestions.
Also, use this free ftp client if you have problems.
http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type+client

FEATURE – USDA AT 100TH ANNIVERSARY BOY SCOUT JAMBOREE

INTRO:  The U-S Department of Agriculture went to the 100th Anniversary Boy Scout Jamboree to teach about the environment and conservation. The USDA’s Bob Ellison has more.  (1:54)

THE CONSERVATION TRAIL AT THE BOYSCOUT JAMBOREE AT FORT
A-P HILL IN VIRGINIA INCLUDED EXHIBITS FROM THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE’S FOREST SERVICE AND NATURAL RESOURCES CONSERVATION SERVICE. FOR THIS YEAR’S JAMBOREE MARKING THE ONE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE BOY SCOUTS, N-R-C-S CONSERVATIONISTS STAGED A THREE ACRE SITE TO TEACH SCOUTS AND VISITORS ABOUT SOILS, EROSION AND THE ENVIRONMENT.

Dave White, Chief, USDA NRCS:  We have actually a good house, bad house. The good house shows erosion control, pollinator friendly species around the home. How to attract birds and butterflies. The bad house shows what happens when septic tanks fail, poor run-off control from the home.

Kenneth Carter, USDA NRCS (ret): Showing them some hands-on demonstrations, having them participate, letting them see erosion, the effects of mulch, the effects of good vegetation, of grass and tree cover, having them build their own soil profile and learn about the soil monoliths and all of the different types of soil.

THE CONSERVATION TRAIL FIT WELL WITH THE SCOUT’S ATTENTION TO THE ENVIRONMENT.

Albert Joynes, Assistant Scout Master: Conservation and boy scouts is always there. We always have service projects going on. We recently in boy scouts have gotten more into the Leave No Trace Program, which is a very much a stewardship program.

AND N-R-C-S OFFICIALS HOPE THE SCOUTS PASS THEIR CONSERVATION TRAIL LESSONS TO FUTURE GENERATIONS.

White:  Will we give them an environment that’s sustainable? And it’s part of passing it to the next generation for these youngsters who come along who will care for the Earth after we’re gone.

WHITE SAYS FITNESS AND A RESPECT FOR THE OUTDOORS ARE PART OF SCOUTING’S HERITAGE, AND VERY MUCH IN KEEPING WITH THE AMERICA’S GREAT OUTDOORS INITIATIVE ANNOUNCED EARLIER THIS YEAR BY PRESIDENT OBAMA. FOR THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, I’M BOB ELLISON.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]