USDA TV Feature July 15, 2010

Contact:Bob Ellison
USDA Office of Communications
(202) 720-4623

USDA FOOD SAFETY LESSONS GO ON THE ROAD

The USDA Food Safety Mobile is on the road across the country this summer to help teach Americans how to safely prepare and handle food.

 YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdeLndkWzgY

 A new video feature is available on the USDA FTP site
Filename: food bus
Download instructions:
The host:  ftp://ocbmtcmedia.download.akamai.com

User name: usdanews
Password:  Newscontent1

The new file is in QuickTime Movie(H.264 crop and letterbox), MPEG 4(crop and letterbox), MPEG 4 (low res) and HDV format.

Please email bob.ellison@xxxxxxxx if you have problems or suggestions.
Also, use this free ftp client if you have problems.
http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type+client

FEATURE – USDA FOOD SAFETY LESSONS GO ON THE ROAD

INTRO: The USDA Food Safety Mobile is on the road across the country this summer to help teach Americans how to safely prepare and handle food.  The USDA’s Bob Ellison has more. (1:37)

THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE FOOD SAFETY DISCOVERY ZONE IS A FORTY FOOT LONG TRUCK THAT IS PACKED WITH FOOD SAFETY LESSONS.
U-S-D-A’S FOOD SAFETY INSPECTION SERVICE INTRODUCED THE TRUCK ON THE NATIONAL MALL IN WASHINGTON D-C BEFORE IT SET OUT ACROSS THE COUNTRY.

Bob Tuverson, USDA FSIS: It’s going to go to schools, grocery stores, state and county fairs, in the fall, you know, I think we’re going to take in a few football games and wherever there is large crowds that can tour the exhibit and we can really impart a lot of food safety education to a large number of people.

WHILE THE FOOD SAFETY DISCOVERY ZONE IS MEANT TO TEACH IN A FUN AND INTERACTIVE WAY IT IS ADDRESSING A SERIOUS HEALTH THREAT.

Tuverson: About seventy six million people the CDC estimates get sick in some fashion from foodborne illness each year in this country and it can result in death, too, particularly in people whose immune systems are compromised.

A TARGET AUDIENCE FOR THE FOOD SAFETY DISCOVERY ZONE IS
SCHOOL-AGED CHILDREN.

Tuverson: It reinforces clean, separate, cook and chill. Clean your surfaces before you start preparing and handling food. Separate uncooked and raw food from cooked food. Cook your food to a safe internal temperature and then chill your food right away after cooking it to make sure that it stays safe.

THE FOOD SAFETY DISCOVERY ZONE WILL TOUR THE COUNTRY THROUGH
MID-NOVEMBER. SEE ITS SCHEDULE AT W-W-W DOT F-S-I-S DOT U-S-D-A DOT GOV. IN WASHINGTON D-C FOR THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE I’M BOB ELLISON.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]