USDA TV Feature April 8. 2010

Contact: Bob Ellison
USDA Office of Communications
(202) 720-4623

REPLANTING OF THE WHITE HOUSE GARDEN
First Lady Michelle Obama and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack replanted the
White House garden with the help of D.C.-area school children.

One new television feature is available on the USDA FTP site:

Filename:

White House Garden

Download instructions:

The host:  ftp://ocbmtcmedia.download.akamai.com.

User name: usdanews

Password:  Newscontent1

The new file is in QuickTime Movie(H.264, MPEG 4 and MPEG 4 low res) and HDV formats (best video quality and draft video quality).

Please email bob.ellison@xxxxxxxx if you have problems or suggestions.

Also, use this free ftp client if you have problems.

http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type+client

FEATURE – REPLANTING OF THE WHITE HOUSE GARDEN

INTRO:  First Lady Michelle Obama and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack replanted the White House garden with the help of D.C.-area school children.  The USDA’s Bob Ellison has more.  (1:33)

GETTING CHILDREN INTERESTED IN EATING HEALTHY FOOD AND GOING OUTSIDE ARE GOALS OF FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA AND AGRICULTURE SECRETARY TOM VILSACK. THE FIRST LADY SAYS GARDENING IS A GREAT WAY TO GET CHILDEN THINKING ABOUT HEALTHY EATING AND OUTDOOR ACTIVITY.

Michelle Obama, First Lady: And we’ve been able to start thinking about things like getting kids to try new foods they’ve never tried , vegetables they’ve never had.

Tom Vilsack, Agriculture Secretary: Part of the first lady’s efforts is to not only eat nutritiously, but we want you to be physically active. We want you to be outside doing this every day, not just a special occasion like today but every day.

THE FIRST LADY INVITED WASHINGTON D-C AREA SCHOOL CHILDREN TO A SPRING RE-PLANTING OF THE WHITE HOUSE VEGETABLE GARDEN, WHICH WAS PLANTED LAST SPRING WITH THE CHILDREN’S HELP. THE FIRST LADY AND SECRETARY SAY THE GARDEN HAS PEOPLE ACROSS THE COUNTRY AND AROUND THE WORLD THINKING ABOUT VEGETABLES.

Obama: The work that you did helped start a national and international conversation. You guys did it. Everybody is talking about that garden. Not just here in Washington, not just here in the United States, but all over the world.

Vilsack: I’m excited to work in the garden with all of you. And this is as important as the First Lady indicated a very important garden. It really has spurred a lot of interest across the country.

THE GARDEN IS FOUR HUNDRED SQUARE FEET BIGGER THIS YEAR AND IS NOW FIFTEEN HUNDRED SQUARE FEET. NEW VEGETABLES PLANTED THIS SPRING INCLUDE ARTICHOKES, BOK CHOY, MUSTARD GREENS AND CAULIFLOWER. IN WASHINGTON D-C FOR THE U-S DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, I’M BOB ELLISON.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]