USDA Release: Agriculture Secretary Vilsack Visits Nashville-Area School to Watch President Obama's Speech and Discuss Educational Success

Release No. 0427.09
Contact:
Office of Communications (202)720-4623

Agriculture Secretary Vilsack Visits Nashville-Area School to Watch President Obama's Speech and Discuss Educational Success

NASHVILLE, Tenn., September 8, 2009 - Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack today visited Madison, Tenn., as part of the Obama Administration's 'My Education, My Future' events. Secretary Vilsack joined students at Amqui Elementary School to watch President Obama's speech live and have a conversation about the importance working hard, setting educational goals and taking responsibility for their education.

"Our students have the opportunity to determine their individual futures and in turn the future of our nation and we must inspire them to take responsibility for their learning and support them as they rise to that challenge," said Vilsack. "For our students to meet their educational goals, we must make sure that no child arrives at school hungry and that nutritious meals and healthy communities are part of every educational program."

Vilsack's visit is part of the Obama Administration's 'My Education, My Future' Effort with Cabinet Secretaries participating in events throughout the country. The events are designed to help students get focused and begin the school year strong. In advance of the address, the Department of Education provided resources developed by and for teachers to help engage students and stimulate discussion around the importance of education. For more information on resources visit: www.whitehouse.gov/mediaresources/.

Secretary Vilsack applauded Amqui Elementary School as an example of students rising to the challenge of improving their education. Amqui is one of the top performing schools in Tennessee based on its value-added assessment performance, a state based assessment that measures gains by comparing each student's annual test score increase to his or her year-to-year increases in previous years.

Secretary Vilsack also emphasized the link between a successful education and healthy eating and living. The USDA Food and Nutrition Service has worked with Amqui Elementary on its path to achieving 'Team Nutrition' school status. Amqui Elementary has worked to make healthy changes in school meals, provide nutrition education programs, and promote physical activity consistent with the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and USDA's nutrition standards.

Information on the Team Nutrition Training Grants and how schools can become Team Nutrition schools is available at http://teamnutrition.usda.gov.

#

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272(voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).
USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623