USDA Release: Vilsack Discusses Obama Administration's Recovery Efforts for Auto Communities and Workers

Release No. 0193.09
Contact:
Office Of Communications (202) 720-4623

Agriculture Secretary Vilsack Discusses Obama Administration's Recovery Efforts for Auto Communities and Workers

INDIANAPOLIS, June 2, 2009 - Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack visited Indianapolis, Ind., to discuss Obama administration's recovery efforts for auto communities and workers. At the event, he highlighted immediate ways the federal government is working to bring relief to auto communities and achieve long-term economic revitalization for our communities that depend on the auto and manufacturing industry. In Indiana, it is estimated that the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 will create or save 75,000 jobs and deliver close to $3 billion. Vilsack was joined at the event by U.S. Representative Baron Hill.

"President Obama is fully committed to supporting the American auto industry and auto workers, the backbone of our nation's manufacturing base and the hardest working and most innovative workers in the world," said Vilsack. "USDA is working everyday to distribute resources across the nation, including funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, to support our auto communities and workers as we begin to rebuild the American economy."

USDA's work in rural communities to build facilities, expand broadband access, help residents modernize and purchase houses and expand economic opportunities will revitalize the rural communities where many of America's workers make their homes.

"President Obama's goal is to both help revitalize the American auto industry and to help manufacturing communities in the Midwest create new businesses, new jobs and bring in new industries for a stronger economic future," said Vilsack. "And when despite all of our best efforts, individuals and communities are hard hit, the Obama administration will take all possible steps to ensure we are working as swiftly and in a coordinated fashion to provide relief and paths to re-employment."

On February 17, 2009, President Obama set a new course for the nation's financial future by signing into law the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, the most sweeping economic package in the history of the country. Just a few months later, the Recovery Act is already at work providing essential financial relief for American families and businesses, creating and saving jobs, and fueling technology and infrastructure investments that will be the foundation of our economic recovery.

Vilsack is just one of the cabinet secretaries visiting in auto communities throughout the Midwest this week. Also today, Energy Secretary Steven Chu is visiting Fort Wayne, Ind., and over the rest of the week Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar, Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke, Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Shaun Donovan, Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood, and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan will visit communities in Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin.

At USDA, funding from the Recovery Act is affecting communities across the country:

USDA is providing nearly $1.2 billion for building and repairing community facilities including childcare centers, hospitals, medical clinics, fire and rescue stations, police stations and community centers. USDA is also providing $3.6 billion to repair drinking water, sanitary sewer, solid waste and storm drainage facilities. This funding will revitalize and improve the quality of living in the rural communities where many of America's autoworkers make their homes;
USDA distributing $11.2 billion to help families purchase or repair their homes. Buying and keeping a home is part of living the American dream;
USDA is working to distribute $9.1 billion to help bring broadband access to rural communities. This will not only enhance farmers and ranchers' ability to market goods and increase production, it will help residents in these smaller communities obtain needed medical care, gain access to higher education, and benefit from resulting economic activity and job growth;
The Recovery Act provides nearly $20 billion in increased benefits for the Supplementa

#
USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623