USDA Release: Schafer Names USDA Deputy Chiefs of Staff

http://www.usda.gov/2008/10/0265.xml

Schafer Names USDA Deputy Chiefs of Staff
Jennifer Cervantes and Jeremy Stump are Familiar Key Advisors

WASHINGTON, D.C. Oct 15, 2008 - Secretary of Agriculture Ed Schafer today announced the promotions of senior advisors Jennifer Cervantes and Jeremy Stump, each as a Deputy Chief of Staff at USDA.

Cervantes' experience in agricultural policy management began as deputy White House liaison in 2001 and continued with USDA as she specialized in policy and personnel, and implementation of management initiatives and budgets. She served more than two years at the White House in the Office of Presidential Personnel as a Deputy Associate Director for recruiting and recommending candidates for Senior Executive and Presidential Appointments.

Stump's tenure with USDA since 2001 has centered on coordination of policy and programs related to homeland security, biotechnology as well as Acting Deputy Under Secretary for USDA's Marketing and Regulatory Programs. His career grounding came during more than five years with former House Agriculture Subcommittee Chairman Thomas W. Ewing (R-IL), staffing on all issues related to agriculture, trade, international relations, terrorism and defense.

"USDA management encourages the best efforts from its employees on behalf of the people it serves, in keeping with Lincoln's founding belief that the Department of Agriculture is the people's Department," said Schafer. "Jennifer Cervantes is well-regarded for her professionalism and effective work with employees, executives and our many stakeholders. We are thrilled to have Jennifer's expertise and proven ability now on our senior staff. Jeremy Stump has the well-earned reputation for responsiveness and leadership across a host of subject areas, coordination with federal agencies, and outreach to our partner organizations. Jeremy brings a solid background of experience in key issues facing the Department today and will be a valuable addition to our senior staff. I have confidence in their abilities and their judgments in directly advising and supporting the work of the Secretary and the senior staff."

Cervantes graduated with a Bachelor of Business Administration degree from St. Edward's University in her native Austin, Texas in 1997. Stump is a native of Bloomington, Illinois; a 1995 graduate of George Mason University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in government and politics.

Cervantes and Stump serve in the positions vacated by the retirement of David L. (Dave) Johnson and by the President's designation of Elizabeth (Beth) Johnson as Acting Under Secretary for Food Safety.
USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623