USDA Statement: Re-sending with farm bill statement attached

Link: http://www.usda.gov/2008/02/0045.xml

Statement by Secretary Ed Schafer and Deputy Secretary Chuck Conner Regarding the Senate's Farm Bill Proposal

February 15, 2008

The Senate's most recent farm bill proposal recommends increases in taxes and significantly grows the size and scope of government while failing to implement much needed reform in our current farm bill programs. We are disappointed that the Senate has not joined the House in proposing a package that seeks fiscal discipline and real reform while providing a true safety net.

The President has said time and time again that he will not support a bill that raises taxes and uses taxpayer dollars to increase the size of government, and that is exactly what this proposal does.

We believe that, working together, the House, Senate and the Administration can move forward with a true reform minded farm bill that remains at around $6 billion over baseline. The Senate offer looks to increase spending by at least $16.5 billion.

Although we remain encouraged with the efforts of the House and the amount of dialogue put forward in this process, this Senate proposal is a step away from passing a farm bill.

We continue to encourage the House and Senate to work together to quickly agree on a farm bill that the President can sign. This proposal does not reach this goal.

##

USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623