USDA Release: USDA ACCEPTS FIRST THREE STATE PETITIONS FOR CONSERVING ROADLESS AREAS IN NATIONAL FORESTS

Please view this link: http://www.usda.gov/2006/06/0212.xml

Ed Loyd  (202) 720-4623
Forest Service Press Office (202) 205-1134

USDA ACCEPTS FIRST THREE STATE PETITIONS FOR CONSERVING ROADLESS AREAS
IN NATIONAL FORESTS

WASHINGTON, June 21, 2006- Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns today
approved petitions from North Carolina Governor Mike Easley, South
Carolina Governor Mark Sanford and Virginia Governor Tim Kaine to develop
state-specific rules for managing roadless areas in the three states.

"We are committed to working closely with the nation's governors to
meet the needs of our local communities while protecting and restoring
the health and natural beauty of our national forests," said
Johanns. "I look forward to continuing to work collaboratively
with Governors Easley, Sanford, Kaine and others in the conservation
and management of these important areas."

The three petitions were recently reviewed by the 13-member Roadless
Area Conservation National Advisory Committee, established by Johanns to
provide advice and recommendations on implementing the State Petitions
for Inventoried Roadless Area Management Rule.

Governor Mike Easley said, "I am pleased that North Carolina is
among the first states to have its petition accepted but this is only
a first step in protecting these roadless National Forest areas in
North Carolina from development. We look forward to joining with the
National Forest Service representatives to expeditiously work toward
putting permanent rules in place so these lands remain unspoiled for
future generations."

Governor Mark Sanford said, "The quality of life in our state is
going to be an increasingly important part of South Carolina's competitive
edge when it comes to the global race for jobs and investment. The
approval of our request to keep these areas roadless --along with our
ongoing efforts to protect other ecologically significant land in the
state -- is an important step toward preserving the way we look and feel
as a state and preserve our competitive advantage with respect to our
quality of life."

Governor Tim Kaine said, "My administration looks forward to
beginning the rulemaking process as we continue working to protect
the important roadless areas in our national forests. I commend the
Secretary's decision, and appreciate the Committee's thoughtful review
of Virginia's petition."

The Forest Service will now work with North Carolina, South Carolina
and Virginia to develop and publish proposed state-specific rules that
address the management requirements set forth in the petitions. The
state-specific rulemaking process will include any required National
Environmental Policy Act analysis and invite public input during a notice
and comment period. USDA will make the determination on the adoption of
any final federal rule.

USDA is accepting state petitions until November 13, 2006. After a
petition is received, the advisory committee has 90 days to review it
and provide recommendations to the Secretary. If a state chooses not
to file a petition, inventoried roadless areas within that state will
continue to be managed in accordance with the direction set forth in
each national forest's land and resource management plan. During the
state-petitioning process, the Forest Service will continue to maintain
interim measures to conserve inventoried roadless areas.

The State Petitions for Inventoried Roadless Area Management Rule
was adopted by USDA in May 2005 and established a process to provide
governors an opportunity to establish or adjust management requirements
for National Forest System inventoried roadless areas within their states.

For more information, visit www.roadless.fs.fed.us.

#
 USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx