USDA Release: Johanns Volunteers At Pennsylvania Food Bank For National Volunteer Week

For full story: http://www.usda.gov/2006/04/0137.xml

Release No. 0137.06

Contact: Ed Loyd (202) 720-4623

Johanns Volunteers At Pennsylvania Food Bank For National Volunteer Week

HARRISBURG, Penn., April 24, 2006- Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns and Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum today visited the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank to participate in a volunteer project, thank volunteers and give a USDA service award to an outstanding volunteer in recognition of National Volunteer Week.

"Across our country each day volunteers strengthen our communities by helping neighbors in need," said Johanns.  "President Bush has called on each of us to reaffirm our commitment to compassionate service and help America become a stronger country. I'm pleased to be joined by Senator Santorum today as we recognize the dedicated volunteers of the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank."

President Bush's Proclamation recognizing National Volunteer Week stated that, "Our Nation is a force for freedom and prosperity, and our greatness is measured by our character and how we treat one another. During National Volunteer Week, and throughout the year, we appreciate the millions of volunteers across America and strive to be a more compassionate and decent society."

Johanns and Senator Santorum spent time to re-stock shelves and re-pack food items to distribute to those in need. The Central Pennsylvania Food Bank's mission since 1981 is to reduce hunger in central Pennsylvania. It distributes more than one million pounds of food per month and distributed almost 14 million pounds last year, which included 425 thousand pounds of USDA commodities.  More than 33 percent of those served are children under the age of 18.

Johanns also presented Central Pennsylvania Food Bank outstanding volunteer Charlie Radle with USDA's Volunteer Service Award. Radle, a seven year volunteer, volunteers each week day from 7:30 a.m. until noon and oversees the sorting many of the products available for agencies to select.

Throughout the week, members of President Bush's cabinet will participate in events highlighting the President's call to service for National Volunteer Week, which is an opportunity to recognize the efforts of millions of volunteers across the country and to promote existing opportunities for all Americans to participate in volunteer service.

For more information on volunteer opportunities, visit www.usafreedomcorps.gov.

#
 USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx