USDA Statement: BY AGRICULTURE SECRETARY MIKE JOHANNS REGARDING CANADA'S FIFTH CASE OF BSE

Click to view: http://www.usda.gov/2006/04/0129.xml

Release No. 0129.06
Contact:
Ed Loyd (202) 841-0831

STATEMENT BY AGRICULTURE SECRETARY MIKE JOHANNS REGARDING CANADA'S FIFTH CASE OF BSE

April 16, 2006

"With the confirmation of a new BSE case in Canada, Minister Strahl has invited the United States to participate in the epidemiologic investigation. We will dispatch a USDA animal health expert to Canada on Monday.

"Information gathered through this investigation will help us to determine what, if any, impact this should have on our beef and live cattle trade with Canada.  Based on the information currently available, I do not anticipate a change in the status of our trade.

"It is important to note that Canada's monitoring system identified this animal as one that should be removed from the food and feed supply chain, ensuring food safety continues to be protected."

#
 USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623