USDA Statement: STATEMENT BY AGRICULTURE SECRETARY MIKE JOHANNS REGARDING THE LAUNCH

Link:  http://www.usda.gov.2006/03/0070.xml

Release No. 0070.06

Contact: Ed Loyd (202)720-4623

STATEMENT BY AGRICULTURE SECRETARY MIKE JOHANNS REGARDING THE LAUNCH OF FREE TRADE AGREEMENT TALKS WITH MALAYSIA MARCH 8, 2006

"I'm pleased that Malaysia and the United States will be negotiating a bilateral free trade agreement that has the potential to enhance market access for U.S. agricultural exports.

"Malaysia, our fourth largest agricultural market in Southeast Asia, purchased $390 million of our fresh and processed fruits and vegetables, wheat, soybeans and other products last year. A free trade agreement will generate additional export opportunities for our farmers and ranchers, strengthen our economic ties, encourage development and improve access to Malaysian consumers seeking high quality U.S. products."
 USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623