USDA Statement: BY AGRICULTURE SECRETARY MIKE JOHANNS REGARDING BSE FINDING IN CANADA

Click to view: http://www.usda.gov/2006/01/0021.xml

Release No. 0021.06
Contact:
Ed Loyd (202) 720-4623

STATEMENT BY AGRICULTURE SECRETARY MIKE JOHANNS REGARDING BSE FINDING IN CANADA

January 23, 2006

"I appreciated the opportunity to speak with Canadian Agriculture Minister Andy Mitchell today, who apprised me of the new BSE detection in Canada. I assured him that based on the information he supplied, I anticipate no change in the status of beef or live cattle imports to the U.S. from Canada under our established agreement. As I've said many times, our beef trade decisions follow internationally accepted guidelines that are based in science.

"We will continue to evaluate this situation as the investigation continues. I have directed our USDA team to work with Canada and its investigative team. Minister Mitchell has pledged his full cooperation.

"I am confident in the safety of beef and in the safeguards we and our approved beef trading partners have in place to protect our food supply. We will continue to adhere to international guidelines in our relationships with all trading partners, and my hope continues to be that we achieve a system of science-based global beef trade."

#
 USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623