USDA Statement: BY AGRICULTURE SECRETARY MIKE JOHANNS REGARDING THE RESIGNATION OF DEPUTY UNDER SECRETARY

Link: http://www.usda.gov/2005/12/0528.xml

Release No. 0528.05

Contact: Ed Loyd (202) 720-4623

STATEMENT BY AGRICULTURE SECRETARY MIKE JOHANNS REGARDING THE RESIGNATION OF DEPUTY UNDER SECRETARY FOR FARM AND FOREIGN AGRICULTURAL SERVICES JIM BUTLER
Dec. 6, 2005

"With regret and sincere gratitude for his service, I have accepted Dr. Jim Butler's resignation as deputy under secretary for Farm and Foreign Agricultural Services.

"Dr. Butler has served America's farmers and ranchers with distinction for more than four years at USDA, working to secure our agricultural products from disease and to assure our trading partners that America has the safest food supply in the world.  Throughout his tenure, Jim Butler's professionalism and knowledge have helped to resolve global agricultural issues.

"I am very pleased that he will continue his public service by providing leadership to an important international agricultural organization."

Dr. Butler joined USDA in 2001 as deputy under secretary for Marketing and Regulatory Programs and was later named deputy under secretary for Farm and Foreign Agricultural Services.  He is taking on the role of deputy director general of the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA).  With headquarters in San Jose, Costa Rica, IICA is a leading organization in the Western Hemisphere for promoting development of the agriculture and food sectors as science-based sanitary and phyto-sanitary standards and biotechnology regulation.

#
 USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623