USDA Release: JOHANNS ANNOUNCES $150,000 IN GRANTS TO FFA FOR AGRICUTURAL EDUCATION

Link: http://www.usda.gov/2005/10/0467.xml

Release No. 0467.05

Ed Loyd (202) 720-4623
Wayne Maloney (202) 690-0498

JOHANNS ANNOUNCES $150,000 IN GRANTS TO FFA FOR AGRICUTURAL EDUCATION

WASHINGTON, Oct. 28, 2005- Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns today announced the award of $150,000 in USDA Rural Development and USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service grant funds to the FFA organization to increase career development and promote entrepreneurship skills.

"We depend on future generations to carry on the traditions and vital role of agriculture in our country and USDA is pleased to support the FFA and its career development efforts," said Johanns.  "I learned a great deal from both FFA and 4-H in my youth and I continue to share their enthusiasm about the future of agriculture."

Johanns said the grants include $100,000 from USDA Rural Development of which $75,000 will support the FAA Agri-Entrepreneurship Award program whose primary goal is to increase the number of business start-ups by teaching young people how to identify market opportunities and create jobs.  As part of the program, students are challenged to develop an agricultural related business plan.  The Agri-Entrepreneurship Awards are designed to recognize FFA members who have successfully planned or started agri-enterprises. All FFA members, including those who have graduated from high school, are eligible to compete.  Ten national finalists are selected from a list of chapter winners. Examples of past winning projects include:  a u-pick strawberry operation; a relief milking service for area dairy farmers; a business producing floral crops and arrangements and a company that produces vegetables, fruits and maple syrup for sale at farm markets.

The remaining $25,000, plus another $50,000 from USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service will help support the National FFA Career Development Events program which fosters and recognizes excellence in agriculture learning with a goal of inspiring young people to consider careers in agricultural business and industry. The program is in its 77th year of operation.
 USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623